Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 02:47 PM
New baby...new camera

Hi all,

I've been incommunicado for most of my time here and just plain old missing for the last 6 months. Happily so, for the last 6 months anyway, as we have a new baby. My husband was wonderful enough to purchase a new-to-me camera, Canon XS with a pair of kit lenses (55-250mm 1:4 - 5.6 IS and 18-55mm).
I am currently taking lots of baby photos using the 55-250 lens but only using the Auto features of the camera. I've been afraid to miss anything but am really beginning to feel the limitations of playing it so safe.
Are there any tips or tricks to taking great shots of baby while its just the two of us? Is my camera just too slow or do I simply need a lot more skill?
Thanks for any advice...
  #2    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: New baby...new camera

Congratulations on your new baby!!

How old is he/she now?

I think you will be fine with the camera you have - do you have an off camera fash at all?

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #3    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Why don't you just share some of your photos with us?! That way we can comment on what you might be able to do better, areas where you could do things differently.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post
Why don't you just share some of your photos with us?! That way we can comment on what you might be able to do better, areas where you could do things differently.
he he he!

Good point!!!

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #5    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM

Hi,

He's just a few days shy of 5 months and is a very happy and drooling little fellow. I don't have any additional flash (yet will be in the market for one when I go back to work in 3 weeks). Of course, I should post some photos so you can steer me in the right direction but not sure how to do that as its asking for a URL.
  #6    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoast.post View Post
Hi,

He's just a few days shy of 5 months and is a very happy and drooling little fellow. I don't have any additional flash (yet will be in the market for one when I go back to work in 3 weeks). Of course, I should post some photos so you can steer me in the right direction but not sure how to do that as its asking for a URL.
Have a look at the links in my signature (at the bottom of my post)

Either that - or click on the little paperclip symbol (at the top when you are creating / replying to a thread) and then you will be able to add pictures to the post.

If that makes no sense then let me know!

Andy

Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #7    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Premiere Member

And 5 months is fun - my daughter has just gone past six months . . .

Andy

Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #8    Top
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Okay...got it. I think my photos were simply too big and it was timing out/coming back with errors.

He's just starting the whole crawling thing...he's got the back end figured out but not the front end. He just pushes himself around the floor on his face . I'm going to miss so much when I go back to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiden1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	86121  Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiden2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	86122  Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiden3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	86123  Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiden4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	86124  Click image for larger version

Name:	Aiden and Dad.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	86125  

#9    Top
Old October 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

What a cutie!!
I recommend getting this book http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817439390 it will help you learn to use manual settings.
You can try out aperture priority too, that mode lets you select the aperture and the camera will choose the best shutter speed and iso. Depending on the lighting f/4.5 would be a good starting point, but play around.
(check out a 50mm 1.8 lens, it is awesome for low light and I love it for babies)

For pictures of babies try to stay on his level and not looking down (looks like you already do that)
Use your windows for light, place him near the windows and watch for catch lights.
Find some open shade outside and sit him in the grass.
Playing peek a boo with the camera gets some great smiles.
Use a bed to put him at your level to get shots of him sleeping.
Don't forget the details, baby feet are too cute not to photograph!
Have fun!!
Here are a few shots of what i mean. for crawling babies I LOVE containers, baskets, pots, bins, tubs anything works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	86131  
  #10    Top
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

I totally agree with the recommendation on that book. It is a wonderful tool for learning how to break free of automatic settings on your camera.

On that note, I think your photographs are just fine. AND WHAT A DOLL!!!! You will get some great information from that book.

One small suggestion not regarding the quality of your photos. Hand the camera over to your husband every once in awhile. Being the photographer in the house, I have very few pictures of me with my son who is now 3. Please PleasePlease promise me you will get yourself in those pictures. It's sad when I look back 3 yrs later and realize my son will not think I even existed when he was that young.
Keep practicing
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101