Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Recent Photo: Duke
White balance two part question...

I have searched the forums for similar topics and could not find a clear cut answer, so my apologies if this has been discussed before......

Setting white balance, what method has proven the most consistent results, a white card, or grey card ?? or are we talking Ford vs Chevy, simply a matter of preference....

also in my research, the introduction of the Expodisc further clouds the waters more.... is this method producing better results than the low tech card method??

any and all advice/suggestions welcome.

Thanks!!!!
  #2    Top
Old November 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: White balance two part question...

I always us AWB and tweak it in ACR but for a preset white balance I've been told that a white coffee filter over the lens works fine for setting the WB. It's worth a try if you haven't already tried it.

Jerry
  #3    Top
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: The Performer
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

It really depends on how you want to do it. All white balance does is create a reference point for the camera to create all the other colors. My personal preference is to get the WB correct in camera as much as possible to keep the post processing time down, but doing it in post does not create any problems. The white coffee filter works great for me. Some say the filter is not absolute white like an Expodisc, but the small differences are worth me saving the money. Maybe if I was a professional it would make a difference.

Scott
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM

Taking this in another direction I have had nothing but wonderfull results using the WB presets in my d5100. I prefer warmer tones so I always move the WB settings to the right a couple notches. Also another thing to consider is shooting in RAW. As a wedding photographer this setting is wonderfull due to the ever changing lighting and the fact that with weding photography you only have one chance to get it right. Lightroom is great for adjusting white balance after the fact.
  #5    Top
Old November 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriepe View Post
I always us AWB and tweak it in ACR but for a preset white balance I've been told that a white coffee filter over the lens works fine for setting the WB. It's worth a try if you haven't already tried it.

Jerry
I'll have to remember that trick. It's cheap, easy, and if I lose it or it gets destroyed I won't feel like I've misspent my cash.

Usually I use the presets that came with the camera.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #6    Top
Old November 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Camera presets and auto white balance usually work OK for me, but there are situations when a preset WB is necessary. I always seem to need it for indoor sports. Gym and arena lighting is weird.
The coffee filter will work well most of the time, but I have found with my IR converted camera, I sometimes need a gray card to set white balance. I recently got a calibration card for about $25.00.
It's 12 inches square with a white side and an 18% gray side. It folds to about 7" round and fits easily in my bag.
Advantages are that it serves several duties besides setting WB. For difficult lighting situations the gray side can serve as an exposure aid as well as for WB. It also has a focus target on it for use with shallow DOF. It is also just the right size to use the white side as a reflector for macro and closeup work.
For me it was well worth the money.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #7    Top
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM

i use a cheap (free for me since i got it from work) opaque piece of plastic. i looked at the expodisks, and saw it was a white piece of plastic, with a light gathering lens on the front. I had some 1/4" white plastic at work, so i cut a couple of 100mm squares and tried it out. it works great, there is subtle change to the color tones and saturation, but it makes a photo go from flat to pop. you can get a small sheet of the same plastic at a local hardware store or lowes or home depot, or look for a plastic supply place, ask them if they have any scraps that you could have. I use the same method for setting my wb as the expodisk recommends for using their disk. other than that, i always shoot in raw, so if the white balance is off a little, i can tweek it in pp.

#8    Top
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

Well, maybe I can help with this a bit... I wrote the article on the Expodisc for Popular Photography & Imaging. Here is the link, if you're interested in reading it:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2008/12...-test-expodisc

Now, there's a lot of talk about what works best and what doesn't. Some say that the expodisc is unnecessary, and that a coffee filter works just as well. I tend to disagree with this because there are many variations in the paper quality that's used in coffee filters- literally each batch of paper is different in tone, color and density. The expodisc is over 99% accurate in color, and to me, it's worth the money to have that kind of consistent imaging time after time after time. Hope this helps!

Cordially,

Mark Lent
  #9    Top
Old March 21st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I'm with Mark on this. That said I only use it with tungsten light or barn lights that run at crazy hz rates.

Other then that I am always on AWB.
  #10    Top
Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:57 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I guess I gotta go with the shoot in RAW and adjust as required. I like to set per individual image.
Bill H.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting