Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM
Junior VIP Member
Do you or have you used a Sling Pak

I've been looking for a smaller bag that gives me quick access to my equipment when I'm shooting an on location portrait shoot or hiking in the woods so I don't have to lug my bigger back with all my equipment in it. So I was thinking this might be an option but I've heard mixed reviews on them.

If you do or ever have used one of these I'd like to know your impressions of them.

TIA
  #2    Top
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Do you or have you used a Sling Pak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakShooter View Post
I've been looking for a smaller bag that gives me quick access to my equipment when I'm shooting an on location portrait shoot or hiking in the woods so I don't have to lug my bigger back with all my equipment in it. So I was thinking this might be an option but I've heard mixed reviews on them.

If you do or ever have used one of these I'd like to know your impressions of them.

TIA
I have a smaller one similar to a Lowepro 100AW for just that purpose. Works great for me.
http://toths.us/GJT
Matthew 25:31-46
Feel free to comment/critique my images.
  #3    Top
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Several years ago I bought both of my sons a Lowepro 200 Slingshot. Shortly thereafter and frustrated with my existing options, I "borrowed" one of theirs and almost immediately fell in love with its functionality, so much so that I kept it...but did replace it with another. I had been waffling on which size (ie 100, 200, or 300). Each of us has different needs and thus one is not necessarily universally better than others. I can tell you that the since I carry/store my lens each within their own Lowepro LensCase, I stripped out all of the bothersome partitions as I'd be consistently reconfiguring them to accomodate the mix of lenses I'd carry on any given day. After years and many countless hours and miles of using the Slingshot 200 I'll tell you that I'd instantly replace it if it were lost/stolen/damaged....but with the newer version, ie 202(?).

I've heard of people complaining about the weight borne by a single shoulder. I've carried mine fully loaded for the better part of a day. While the 300 does carry considerably more weight, it does have a better waist belt...but I'd caution you that it probably could be overloaded (ie available space has a way of being filled!). I normally carry the camera around my neck and the Slingshot is used to carry extra lenses, flash, and other misc. gear (flash, batteries, filters, small reflectors, flash bracket/Better Beamer, etc). In a pinch, the bag has SlipLok system loops that will allow other LensCases to be securel strapped onto the bag. I also use those to strap on kneepads with single velcro straps. On one occasion (with 2 LensCases on the outside) I carried an incredulous load of 5 lenses including my 100-400...albeit not for a very long distance nor do I recommend frequently adding to the exterior except in a pinch.

The real performance of the Slingshot comes in the ready access to gear. I can unclip the "stability strap" that hooks from your large cross strap and around your right side to the bottom rear corner of the bag. The Slingshot is then free to readily rotate around to a side or front position. When unzipped you sort of have a working table that facilitates the quick, clean interchange of lenses etc. When done, everything back in its case, stuffed back into the pack, zip the pack, spin around to your back, clip stability strap and your off. Note that a key feature is that your neck/head is always the "post" around which things rotate. Other bags rotate around the outer "knob" of your shoulder, a very tenuous edge between healthy and dropped/ruined gear. The Lowepros have a hidden rain cover (used more than once!). Other than the original jet black having been sun bleached slightly from frequent usage, the bag looks new
  #4    Top
Old November 23rd, 2011, 08:36 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I have several slingshots of various sizes, but as of now I only use one.
The 300AW is a bit big for everyday use, but I've carried it for several hours fully loaded. Not the most pleasant experience but it holds quite a bit and was great for air travel. I would pack the smaller bag in my luggage for use when I reached my destination. I now have more gear than can fit in it and had to get a larger bag.

The 100AW is a great small bag if you have a smaller DSLR or don't have a long telephoto lens attached. It's great for urban hiking though, where you don't need to use a tele.

I also have the 220AW which is my usual carry around bag. It holds plenty for a day trip where I don't need to carry every piece of gear that I own.

I no longer use either of the other 2 bags and would be willing to part with them for much less than the original cost.

The 100AW is like new. Great if you have a smaller to medium sized DSLR. It will accommodate camera with lens attached, and 2 to 3 other lenses, plus filters, extra batteries, and memory cards, flash, etc. It will not allow you to pack your camera if you have a battery grip attached. I was able to pack my D300, but not with my 70-300mm zoom lens attached. It is light weight and can easily be carried for a full day of shooting. It just turned out to be a little small for the amount of equipment I like to have with me. I'm a bit of a gear junkie.
If you are interested, let me know by Private Message.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #5    Top
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Junior VIP Member

Thanks for the great responses guys! I can see that my 70-300mm is going to be an issue for these. lol
  #6    Top
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodakShooter View Post
Thanks for the great responses guys! I can see that my 70-300mm is going to be an issue for these. lol
My 70-300 attached to my D300 fits fine in my 220 AW. I think you should check that one out. To me it is the best compromise between the amount of room for equipment and size/weight. It also seems to be the best design as far as access to your stuff. You can walk around all day, and change lenses, filters, flash, without ever taking the bag off, or even sitting down. It also has a holder for a tripod.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)