Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Hello from NJ

Hi All!

I consider myself new to photography. Everyone has taken photographs but it wasn't until recently that I started to really take photographs.

My wife has been taking photographs for about 3 years now. On our honeymoon she wanted a film SLR. Last year she took some classes. I wanted to be able to share in this hobby with my wife. I am very computer savvy so of course I wanted a digital SLR. I have had quite a few point and shoot digital cameras and yes while they are nice I wanted something more.

Two weeks ago we purchased the Canon Digital Rebel and in the short time I have had it I am really enjoying it. Another reason that I wanted to get into this great hobby is that we are expecting our first child and I really wanted to be able to take quality pictures of him (yes we know we are having a boy). We have a c-section scheduled for Sept. 7th and my wife and I simply cannot wait!

I have always had an interest in photography. I am just amazed at the talent so many people have.

Yesterday we went on our first "photo shoot". The weather here was perfect so instead of doing things around the house we went to the county park with our cameras!

This seems to be a really informative web site and I am looking forward to learning as well as sharing with all of you.

Thanks!

-James
  #2    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Hi James and welcome to the forum. Im so envious of you for having that 300D! I think youll fit in well here, welcome aboard
  #3    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:32 PM
thanks Kara!

I was just on your blog, I love blog's, awesome photos you have on there!

I think the band-aid is my favorite though, I am not a big fan of Dr.'s either.
  #4    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
that was exactly my thought and thanks for the props that photo just makes me laugh now everytime I see it.
  #5    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Hello Jaymz, welcome to the forum.

I was thinking about what you said and you could get "creative" and take pics of the baby coming out of his mothers stomach, alien style, hehe, jk.

Congratrs on the baby boy that you will have soon. I hope you have a large hd, I assume itll be filled with digital files of your baby boy soon.
  #6    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
LOL ..thanks Gerry!

My wife would love that. What is funny she works for the Dr. who is performing the c-section so I could proabably get away with it if I wanted to...but...I don't think I could handle taking that photo!

It's funny you bring up the large HD. I have a server at home that I'm not using...sooo..I am going to format the HD on that and use it as my "photo server"
  #7    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:23 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
A server hd would be good for a photo archive, but you should make at the very least 2 more copies of the pictures and keep one offsite, and then reback up everything every 5 years since media only lasts 5 years at the least on average or something like that.

This is why I want to get a dvd burner, then I can put all my pictures onto one dvd and toss it in a safety deposit box at the bank and every 3 years redo it. Im not waiting 5 years incase thats wrong as well. :0)
  #8    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:41 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Welcome to here. Hope you find the site and members as useful and entertaining as I do... LOL.
  #9    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
I hear ya! I am very good at taking backups. I have all the photos on a CD that I carry with me (for now). The CD stays with my laptop. In case of an emergencey I know the laptop will be one of the first things I grab!

I plan keeping them on the server as an archive then on CD as a another copy. I work off of the CD when I want to play with an image. Just take a copy of the image to my laptop and fire up photoshop.

As our collection grows and we get better at this I will probably look into some other storage solution. I am responsible, amongst other things for our network here at work. I do all the backups, manage the storage..etc. I do like my "high tech" toys. Hmmm we do have a lot of space maybe I will take advantage of it.
  #10    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:46 PM
VIP Member
whats your file naming structure to keep the pictures sorted?
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions