Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
right now when I download from the camera it creates a folder based on the date. The files are then named something like IMG_0070.jpg.

My plan is to print out a contact sheet and keep the sheet with the CD. I will probably store the contact sheet in the directory on the server as well.

I have been adding the location / even to the folder name as well.
  #12    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Ya, the camera file name isnt to descriptive. I tried to find a post on the way I do it but I dont see that around, maybe I havent posted that here, then again I dont work well with the search.

The way I do it basically is create a directory each time I have a new set of pictures, something like 2004-08-21-Pictures around the park, then I move all the pictures in that. Then I use software to rename all of my dscf0001.jpg files to the name of the directory, but the description is abbreviated since cd's can only hold filenames so long, so it becomes 2004-08-21-Patp-0001, 0002, etc. then I really should make them all read only so I cant svae over them by accident, but ive gotten pretty good at not doing that since I usually save the alternates as a psd so im not saving over a jpg more than once which creates compression artifacts.

the problem I have is after the pictures are stored on cd and I modify a picture, I cant put it in the direcotry since its moved to the backup album. also when I modify a picture I add -m2004-08-22 to the extension to keep each modified version seperate.

At least this is the system ive worked out over the last year and a half. Works for me so far except for the modified part.
  #13    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
the rename of the files is a good idea and with Windows XP it's so easy to do....good idea.
  #14    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I just made a program in vb to do it for me, although its a basic program and doesnt work on many machines since it needs some stuff to be installed and I dont hvae a clue how to install the other stuff in an installer, I was never taught that part of programming, hehe. Also the program is kinda basic but I added some one click features to do alot of the work for me, I just need to program something to do the abbr of the directory name for me, hehe.
Sponsors
  #15    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Welcome to the forum!!!

Having computer problems? Want to help other people with their computer problems?
JOIN THE SUPPORT FORUM!!!!

Love to Travel? JOIN YOUR TRAVEL FORUM!!
  #16    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:24 PM
thanks Corry!

Ohhh VB..heh..I do programming in VB.Net
  #17    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM
VIP Member
I just used visual basic 6 for it.
  #18    Top
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Welcome to the Corner, James.

And welcome to the wonderful world of boys! I have 2, 4 years and 10 months.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #19    Top
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:57 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Hello James! Congratulations on the wedding, purchase and baby! I'm looking forward to seeing some newborn shots! Yaaay!
  #20    Top
Old August 24th, 2004, 06:32 AM
thanks everyone!

How is this for a baby picture, this was from the ultrasound we had last week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ultrasound_8_19_2004.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	723  
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions