Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Re: Enroute to making my FIRST SALE!!!

the first shot is amazing....the second shot is good too but it doesnt really show the identity of the bird..tell me how to make sales
Sponsors
  #12    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Enroute to making my FIRST SALE!!!

It all depends on whether you're shooting wildlife. Anadil Unfortunately, wildlife and nature is what I found my niche is. I'm working with just a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII (no teleconverters) as my longest professional calibre lens. The ducks I have found are mallards. I saw a pied billed grebe on one of my treks to that shooting location but just didn't have the range to get the shot I really wanted.

Ideally for shooting wildlife, you need to be at least at 400mm or above. I'm hoping at one point this year to add a TC-20EIII (which reportedly is very good according to Nasim Mansurov who extensively tested it for his review at Mansurovs.org) to my arsenal and I am saving up for a 600mm f/4 and a 1.4X TC for 5 years down the road. Reported IQ at wide-open (f/5.6) is acceptably sharp. But it's optimal sharpness is stopped down by one stop to f/8.

As far as selling images are concerned, it's a tossup. You can put years and years of effort into your craft, but whether someone will like the output, you'll never know. Frankly put, it takes lots of time and effort perfecting your craft. Even then you'll find people either like it or they don't. You take the good points from all the critiques and utilize them. Above all, never stop learning. I've had good friends - Scott Linstead, Ethan Meleg, Jamie Douglas, Bob Krist, Darwin Wiggett and others' images to see what they produce and sell...and my main commitment to becoming professional was if I was going to make a living out of this field of work, my work had better be up to the quality of the above names. The only suggestion that I have is "Commit to being the best at your craft that you can become. Figure out what the pros are coming up with. Learn your craft to the point where you can create images with that same quality over and over again...so that it isn't a matter of luck, but ingrained."

Understand that this is 5 years of intensive self-teaching until I got to the point where I was even considered competitive. I crammed the equivalent of a degree in photographic arts into reading magazines...and wearing the living daylights out of my Nikon D50. Keep in mind, photography isn't completely about gear, it's about knowledge. Knowledge is the key to your success as a photographer. Read what books you can obtain or are available in your country on the subject of photography. Learn your the functions of your current gear inside and out. Learn about photography: Why is Rule of Thirds important and why do you have to learn it before you even know when and how to break it. What is the Golden Mean (as it pertains to photography). Why does shutterspeed, aperture and ISO impact what your photograph looks like. What is Depth of Field, What is Bokeh. Why do different lenses have different DOF and how does each lens affect your photograph. How do you push your ISO to gain shutterspeed? These are the questions you have to learn and drill into your shooting technique until it becomes rote. Only then...should you even consider "do you have what it takes to start a business in photography?" It's not hard to learn all that...it just takes commitment.

Best wishes.
My Gear

Last edited by The_Animal; January 4th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner