Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: Do you have or ever considered use of a battery grip?
I have and use a battery grip for its ergonomics 5 10.42%
I have and use a battery grip for its extra battery capacity 3 6.25%
I have and use a grip for both ergonomics and batteries 22 45.83%
I've used one but don't particularly recommend 8 16.67%
I've never really used or considered a grip 10 20.83%
You may not vote on this poll

#1    Top
Old January 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
With OR without a battery grip?

I'm finally considering a new body and thus all of the peripheral items (ie L-bracket), batteries, etc.

I've never used a battery grip on my camera but I constantly here about those who do and rave about it. I see neither the benefit to having extra onboard batteries at the cost of the constant extra heft doing so nor do I appreciate the advantage of having secondary controls for shooting in portrait mode....but then I've never used a grip! I carry my "extra" batteries in a kit bag in my daypack (usually a Lowepro Slingshot 200) and I'm quite comfortable switching frequently between landscape and portrait using the existing controls on an ungripped camera. I suppose there could be a balancing issue if matched with a super telephoto...but I don't know if one of those will ever be in my future at the exponential rates their pricing is escalating at, thus a 100-400 or 400/5.6 may be the biggest.

I'm curious as to how many use one, how "indispensable" you feel one is and why, and whether you recommend one.

Thanks.
  #2    Top
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: With OR without a battery grip?

Russ,
I have a battery grip for my 40D and when I used that to shoot the races I would use the battery grip to save me from needing to change the battery half way through the shoot. BUT that's not an issue with the 7D as I only use one battery per day and shoot the entire day. Just my two cents.

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #3    Top
Old January 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Russ, I've used a grip on almost every body I've owned, 30D, 40D, and my present 7D. The nice part was the 30D and 40D could use the same grip. Initially I was lent a grip by a friend who insisted that they were a must for shooting sports. I was a bit skeptical at first but after about 5 minutes I was a convert. Mainly the camera with a heavy telephoto zoom just seemed to balance much better in my hands while panning / following the action. The extra weight wasn't very noticeable as compared to lifting a heavier lens. These may not be the same for everyone.

The batteries are a nice side benefit but as you already know not a necessity. But I can shoot an entire airshow (roughly 8 to 10 hours) without ever cracking open the door so it's one less thing to concern myself with.

At this point I couldn't envision myself not having one on whatever body I may end up owning down the line.....

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #4    Top
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I got a battery several years ago, and never take it off the camera. In fact, I almost forget I've got it. Of course, I bought an "L" bracket to fit with the grip, so I can't side-mount my camera on the head (without tilting the ballhead, that is) without it. One of my favorite uses is the second set of controls (including focus point). Another is the battery life. Of course, not everyone here sets up their cameras for 1-3 hours of continuous shooting like I do for night shots. Yet one more is that I can go from 6 frames per second on my D300 without to 8 fps with it. It's also nice to be able to swap out a dead battery with AAs if the need should ever arise.

Now, it is heavier and bulkier. I have on rare occassions taken the grip off when I'm going on a long hike on a bright day. I don't need a tripod, and will further lighten the load.

On the whole, I have found the benefits outweigh the inconveniences (oooooohhhhhhh, bad pun).

I should ask: what camera? Perhaps a Nikon?

flickr Photostream
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old January 17th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I've never shot with one... but there are a number of reasons I'm looking forward to having an integrated grip in my next camera. One of the main ones is that I go portrait a lot and it seems like it would feel more natural.

I see bulk as a benefit, though: the bigger height gets the whole camera resting high in the shoulder pocket, like a rifle. You've got a really stable built-n platform there above your lungs, and I've seen others squeeze out an extra stop or two of shutterspeed because of it.
  #6    Top
Old January 18th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Russ,

I borrowed a grip for my D200 from a good friend several times - primarily for the added battery capacity - and found that I just didn't like the extra bulk and weight. I grew up using a "classic" (read "old") Nikon F and I have always felt perfectly comfortable shooting in portrait mode without a grip. I did not find the convenience of two batteries and extra controls on the grip to be enough to outweigh the disadvantages of the bulk and weight. So now, when faced with the same situations where I borrowed a grip before, I much prefer to spend the few seconds necessary to change batteries than to have to deal with the grip.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #7    Top
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Hey Russ, I use a battery grip on my D700 and find that it helps balance the camera with the 24-70 Nikon lens. The extended battery life is a plus as well. Like Tim, if I am planning a long hike (for me it's a coupla miles) I take it off for the savings in weight. You must be prepared for the "wow, that's a big camera" comments in the field.

Bill H.
  #8    Top
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Premiere Member

I picked one up when I had my 20D and loved it for the extra controls when going to portrait, I was never really concerned about the battery life. When I got my 40D the grip moved to that and then I started buying 1 series bodies. Now that I've got the 5D2 it's grip less and I'm happy with that as my shooting tastes have changed and I prefer to go lighter these days, so much so I find myself grabbing either one of my rangefinders more often than not.

I really need to start selling off some gear.
  #9    Top
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks for the replies.

Several years ago I 1st treated myself to a nice Gitzo carbon tripod, a 3541XLS. I liked it so much that I also later bought a 1541 Mountaineer model, super light with its Markins Q3 ballhead. It was at this point that I realized that simply flopping the ballhead off to the side for vertical images was NOT advisable on such light gear and finally found a relatively affordable used RRS L-bracket which allows me to keep the camera (if lens used doesn't have a tripod mount ring) centered over the tripod/ballhead. Thus I intend to continue using L-brackets. Subsequently I'd be disinclined to attaching/removing a battery grip for different usage plans as it would require different, expensive new L-brackets. I frequently do multi-hour, multi-mile dayhikes where weight (ie a battery grip w/ batteries) is an issue.....I'd rather carry another lens, if anything! As such, I'm disinclined to start using a grip, although I should try one! I can use a non-L, universal bracket in the interim until I make a final decision.

FWIW, I posted a similar question over at Naturescapes, a forum of heavyweight nature (especially birders) photographers. There the overwhelming response was advocating the use of grips, but those folks typically are utilizing 500 to 800mm lenses, often with 1.4-2x multipliers on 1D cameras (or Nikon equivalent).

Last edited by Russ; January 18th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
  #10    Top
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Considering the way you use your camera Russ, I'd say you're fine without one.
To me, it's no big deal to swap out a battery halfway through the day. It takes all of a few seconds.
To me the most compelling reason to use a grip would be for the vertical controls and faster frame rate. If you are doing sports or P.J. that would be very handy, but I see no advantage for landscapes.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > SLRs (Film & Digital)