Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Taking the Plunge - AF-S VRII Nikon 600mm f/4

Finally after thinking and changing my mind, getting more frazzled and doing even more thinking...I've finally come to the decision to go after a lens that will take my wildlife photography to the next level. My wife has OK'd this and I start saving up for the Nikon AF-S VRII 600mm f/4 ED-IF starting November 2012 and ending November 2015. In between April 2012 and October 2012, my wife and I will assemble her kit (16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR) and the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR and get the TC-20EIII for my 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII to extend me out to 400mm f/5.6.

I've decided to open up a separate bank account so that the money that we save up is not easily accessible to us and is left to accumulate. I know that $10863.99 is a lot of money to spend on a lens, but I'm determined that lens will make a difference. I'll beanbag the lens for the first eight months of 2016 until I've saved up enough for the Gitzo tripod and the Jobu gimbal.
My Gear
  #2    Top
Old January 28th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Taking the Plunge - AF-S VRII Nikon 600mm f/4

Sounds like a plan. Good luck with everything
  #3    Top
Old January 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks. agiledogs. Just talked things over with my wife tonight. And she gave me the breakdown for the first three acquisitions. (16-85, 70-300mm VR - for her and the TC-20EIII) for me. I'll have the TC-20EIII by August 2012, which means the itinerary for the 600mm has been moved up from November 2015 to September 2015. Two months doesn't seem like much, but it'll allow me to get some shots from the picnic benches at Green Timbers on a beanbag while the weather is still good. And by June 2016, I'll have my tripod and gimbal ready to mount the 600mm f/4 + the TC-14EII. TC-20 won't be going on the 600mm...it's going to exclusively go on the 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII.
My Gear
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old January 30th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Sounds like a good savings plan! One thing to keep in mind though is that you're looking 3.5-4 years into the future here, and by that time Nikon (or some other manufacturer) may have come out with a different/upgraded/modified/enhanced/new version of this lens, and this one may even be out of production - or this one will drop in price but the better one will be at the premium. Maybe just say that you're going to buy the best available 600mm lens in the 10-11k $ range at the time your financial planning ends, and you won't be disappointed if you buy something else instead of this one

My Smugmug
  #5    Top
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

The way you're planning on saving for this lens is sound. Putting money away on a time basis is the way I operate for certain things. I plan to buy my daughter a new car when she graduates high school so several years ago I started putting away $400 monthly. There is over $18,000 in the account at present with over two years to go. The money is transferred from my checking account automatically. I also have four years of college tuition prepaid for her plus put away $200 monthly for added college expenses with over $20,000 in that account. Planning ahead, being patient and saving for what you want is the way to do it. Also did I mention sacrificing? Congratulations on your decision and your plan to achieve it.

Jerry
  #6    Top
Old January 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Senior VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriepe View Post
The way you're planning on saving for this lens is sound. Putting money away on a time basis is the way I operate for certain things. I plan to buy my daughter a new car when she graduates high school so several years ago I started putting away $400 monthly. There is over $18,000 in the account at present with over two years to go. The money is transferred from my checking account automatically. I also have four years of college tuition prepaid for her plus put away $200 monthly for added college expenses with over $20,000 in that account. Planning ahead, being patient and saving for what you want is the way to do it. Also did I mention sacrificing? Congratulations on your decision and your plan to achieve it.

Jerry
Thanks, Jerry, I don't believe in using credit and being in major debt to a credit card company or asking a bank for a loan. I can wait 3 years: it's only $300.00 a month for 36 months and it's not enough to siginificantly impact our necessities (rent & food). Plus the added benefit is that I end up owning the lens outright rather it being on "rent to own" with the bank or credit card company.

I've had my share of bad decisions. I've wracked up credit card debt and had to work like hell to pay it off. I've bought stuff that I later regretted making that purchasing decision because my interests changed. The last time I ever spent $10,000 was on a grand piano (back when I was in high-school...on a music career that went nowhere mainly because I was not talented enough. I was good enough to get into college music, but not good enough to maintain a 4.0 grade point average.

Photography is the only thing that has remained constant (that I enjoyed) from the age of 14 all the way through to now in my 40s. Sometimes I kind of wonder what I could have accomplished if I had maintained the level of interest that I have now back in my teens. I wonder what I could have accomplished if I had not bought the grand piano back then and had that $10,000.00 left in my savings. I know that if I do this, I'll cherish this lens a hell of a lot more than if I had thrown it on the credit card. It will also be a sense of accomplishment when I make the final deposit on the savings account and then go to purchase that lens.

To me, it's not so much purchase, but an investment in my career and an investment in my happiness, because I realize just how enjoyable life is when I am behind the viewfinder of a camera. Plus on top of that, I get to share this enjoyment of photography with my wife.
My Gear

Last edited by The_Animal; January 30th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner