Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:22 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Announcing "Deals" - Looking for Feedback from the Community

I frequently get emails from a variety of vendors (B&H, Cameta Camera, and a whole slew of photography equipment retailers) with "specials" that they want me to promote on the Corner (in return for a small cut, of course - using their affiliate program). I don't frequently pass them along unless it's a new product announcement, etc. But the more they come in, the more I'm thinking they might actually be worthwhile to pass along. Not only so you guys can get the scoop on hot deals in the world of photography, but also a potentially good way to bring in some revenue for the Corner (would you believe I've spent over $20,000 on servers for the Corner over the past 7+ years??!).

So here's what I'm asking:
1) Would you even be interested in me posting up these sorts of deals (pre-orders, specials, etc.)?
2) If so, where? In a new forum in The Marketplace? A stickied thread in the Photography Equipment forum or Conversation Corner? Somewhere else? Twitter & Facebook?
3) Any other thoughts on the idea?
  #2    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Announcing "Deals" - Looking for Feedback from the Community

Anything that will bring money to the Corner i'm for. As far as posting it for the members to see...why not post it in a couple of forums. I'm sure a lot of members don't go to every forum. I also think you should send it in the news letter.
  #3    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Normally I'm not a fan of advertising, but if it's a pre-selected bunch of deals that actually have relevance to this community then I'm all for it. I wouldn't like an "in your face" kind of approach to it, but I think that a dedicated sub-forum in the marketplace would be a good place for it. As for Twitter, I don't use it, so I don't know. Facebook on the other hand does have their own advertising program, so you probably have to look into their policy and legal stuff to make sure you can post directed ads of your own ... just to be on the safe side.

My Smugmug
  #4    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: grapefruit
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

This sounds like a great idea. We all like to hear about the new products coming out. I would suggest the marketplace forum along with information in the newsletter.
  #5    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Premiere Member

I think it would be a great addition to the forum.

I would make it it's own sub forum in the marketplace and give it the first slot hoping it being right there would generate more traffic.
  #6    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: DSC04769
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Sounds like a good idea. On another forum site they have a "Sponsors and Special Deals", sub-forum for just this sort of thing.
  #7    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I think a sticky in the resource section would be good. Also include a list of the links to the sites where we can go thru on a normal purchasing quest so the corner can get the credit.
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod View Post
Sounds like a good idea. On another forum site they have a "Sponsors and Special Deals", sub-forum for just this sort of thing.
I like this idea. That way, it isn't an 'in your face' approach but does provide an opportunity for members to check out deals and for the Corner to make a bit of $ in return.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #9    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I would think a separate forum or even tab for the sponsor's deal of the (pick your time frame)
day, week etc....
  #10    Top
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

On the surface, bringing buyers and sellers together is a good thing. Further, if it allows the Corner to financially gain by facilitating a valued service, then I'm all for it. The devil is in the detail though! As others have mentioned, I wouldn't like an "in your face" presence. I think the "slippery slope" aspect of this is what constitutes "a deal". Recently someone linked us to a deal of the day on Amazon for Canon S95 cameras at $229.....a definite deal for those interested. But I've also seen vendors pile any/everything into their "special" pricing, obviously playing on the feeding frenzy mentality. I would quickly tire of having to cull thru tons of non deals to find a few true "pearls". I'd be most supportive of having a separate forum (or subforum) for such. Each "thread" should be marked as to which vendor and thus over time we'll come to know by experience which are worth reading and which aren't. It would be good to title them with any specific deals, ie best of the best. That could take time/resources however.

I don't use Twitter or Facebook, thus those aren't recommended options for me! I could see a link to the Deals/Specials thread/forum sprinkled in amongst threads of traditional forums, much as is done now for other vendors.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner