Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
scanning slides

Just wondering if anyone has any experience scanning mounted slides. I used to do a lot of photography when I was younger (in the last century ) and have hundreds (thousands?) of slides that I took 30+years ago. So I was wondering:

1. What equipment have you used to scan the slides?
2. Can you comment on the results - clarity, printing from the digital file after scanning, color, etc

Thanks in advance

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #2    Top
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: scanning slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any experience scanning mounted slides. I used to do a lot of photography when I was younger (in the last century ) and have hundreds (thousands?) of slides that I took 30+years ago. So I was wondering:

1. What equipment have you used to scan the slides?
2. Can you comment on the results - clarity, printing from the digital file after scanning, color, etc

Thanks in advance
I don't have any info to share......just the same problem, ie thousands of older slides and negatives that SOMEDAY I'll need to digitize, thus I'm interested in hearing what others say as well.
  #3    Top
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: DSC04769
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I found this site that compares various scanners and goes into some detail on several brands along with price, you might want to take a look.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/CS8800/8800F.HTM
  #4    Top
Old April 16th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Besides scanning another alternative would be to have a good back lighted mount like a tracing board, or xRay light (I borrowed on from my dentist). They using a good 1:1 lens and tripod shoot the slide digitally.

Tou may have to do a little cropping as The few that I had I was got a little of the slide mount in the frame.

Frank B used a similar method on some of his old slide that worked out pretty well.
  #5    Top
Old April 17th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I scanned slides and negatives for several years - both older images and more current efforts. Over time I went through two different Nikon film scanners to accomplish the task. I would estimate that of the many thousands of images I scanned, probably about 1,000 were slides.

I can state definitively that to get a really good scan that captures as much of the information as possible from the slide there is a significant learning curve. I was still learning techniques and processes to help my scans after about 7 years when my second film scanner died. More recently I bought an Epson V750 flatbed scanner that has the ability to scan slides, but I have used that particular feature only a few times. I have completely lost track of film scanners today - I have almost no idea about what is currently available.

Here are some observations:
- One of the things I really miss with the flatbed scanner is the of ability to focus on the film. If you want critical sharpness in the scan, you must adjust the distance of the film above the scanner bed - and it is an iterative trial-and-error process (a PITA to me). Unless a slide is mounted between glass (where you have a high risk of seeing and recording Newton's rings) it is never truly flat, and the thickness of the slide mount can change the focus from one batch of slides to another (sometimes from one slide to the next). Being able to focus on the most important part of the slide for a given scan was a real benefit of the dedicated film scanners. Some of my slides were so non-flat that I had to unmount them and put them in better mounts just to be able to get a reasonable scan at all.
- Except for the Kodachromes, all of the older slides had faded and shifted colors to lesser or greater degrees. I found a plugin called Digital ROC from Advanced Science Fiction (ASF) that did a pretty good job of interpreting a scan and made a good estimation of the original color (at least as well as my mind could remember). ASF was bought by Kodak and I think Digital ROC is still available, along with some other plugins helpful for processing scans.
- For some reason I don't recall, Kodachrome proved difficult for some scanning software to deal with. The best results I got were from the Silverfast scanning software (I don't recall which version).
- Scanning older medium-speed color negatives/slides and current high-speed films at high resolution really emphasized the grain from the original image. Unless processed to reduce grain, larger prints didn't look very good to me (4x6 seemed OK). To somebody who likes to see the grain, they may have looked just fine. Scanning fine grain films worked much better for me.
- Prints from a good scan of fine grain film worked very well, but as I mentioned there was a significant learning curve to be able to consistently make a good scan that captured all (or most of) the information available in the original. Since I first started scanning some of the older images I liked the best, I went back and did lots of them over when I had more experience/knowledge.
- I think that David Brooks over at Shutterbug magazine (Digital Help column, plus other articles) has a lot of good, current information about slide scanning.

Let me know if you think there is something else I may be able to answer for you - I will try my best.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #6    Top
Old April 17th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I appreciate all the responses. It looks like it's going to be a long road of research... and then trial and error on technique if I purchase something to do my own scanning of the slides I have.

Richard - thanks for your extensive recounting of your experiences. Very helpful.I will check out the David Brooks column at Shutterbug.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #7    Top
Old April 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Just my 2 pennies...I digitized about 2500 of my aunt's and uncles over the past couple years and just used my Nikon P5100. There was an attachment that I got for I believe $20 or so that screws on and you put a slide in, aim at a light source and snap. I've not looked too hard, but if the scanner end doesn't work out, I believe you can get an attachment for most dSLRs. From my experience, they turned out fairly well. All the ones I did were 30+ years old and a quick autolevels brought the vast majority back to close to original.
  #8    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Lifelong Learner

That sounds intriguing. Do you have a brand name/source for that?

#9    Top
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

"That sounds intriguing. Do you have a brand name/source for that?"

Something like this?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uplicator.html

There may be others available too.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #10    Top
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABaker View Post
"That sounds intriguing. Do you have a brand name/source for that?"

Something like this?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...uplicator.html

There may be others available too.

Good luck,
Richard Baker
That's basically what I have. Don't remember spending that much, but it's possible. Either way, I have had good luck with it, unlike the reviewer. It (at least mine and I'm sure this one as well) does have a diffuser on it you can't see from the picture as is. In my experience, it lights well.

My love/hate relationship with the device is when I do slides, I have a small lamp that sits on my knee when I am on my La-z-boy with the camera up near my face. But that was how I first started doing it and got into a routine that way.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)