Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
It can't only be me (surely)

I'd like to hear the mistakes or flubs one encounters frequently in photography because I know I have more than my share. I'll list some of the things that irritate me: 1: I have a bad habit of accidentally hitting the command and sub-command wheel unknowingly changing my settings. For macro I use a shutter speed of 1/160 to 1/200 and never under 1/125 but one time after shooting and downloading my shots I saw they were taken at 1/60. 2: I use my built in flash in commander mode but I always wear a cap with a bill to protect myself from the sun. If I don't remove the cap for every shot the bill pushes the flash down and my off camera flashes do not fire. A few days ago I saw a hover fly hovering and I could see through the viewfinder it was nicely focused. Thinking I had a great shot I looked at the monitor to see it was black. Yes, I had forgotten to remove my cap. I was not happy. 3: After downloading images I forget to remove the SD card from my laptop to put it back into the camera. But then again that's only happened about one hundred times. 4: Sometimes I forget to raise my built in flash but find out quickly when I look at the black monitor. 5: A few times I have forgotten to check my settings and shot a few shots in aperture mode thinking I was in manual. Is this common or is it just me?

Okay Sharna I know what you're thinking. "Nope, it's just you Jer, the rest of us are normal.

Jerry
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: It can't only be me (surely)

I think things like this happen to all of us at one time or another, some more frequently perhaps, but to everyone.
I think that's why a lot of people wax poetic about the days when they used film cameras. I know my old 35mm film camera had much less buttons and gadgets to set. ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. Once you put the film in, ISO, (ASA) was set for the whole roll. All you had to change was aperture or shutter speed to fix exposure. No pop up flash, no commander mode.
On the other hand, if you did make a mistake, you didn't find out until after you got the film back, and you were at the mercy of whomever developed your film.
If they screwed up....
I think a lot of us have come to expect the camera to automatically do a lot of the heavy lifting for us.
I have to say, overall I've made more and faster progress with digital, but when I find myself making mistakes, I have to think about stepping back, and taking more time to make sure my settings and clothing are in the proper position.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #3    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Nope, I don't make mistakes.

Jer,
I've read in photography books written by pro's where they admit to making mistakes. It's not just you. The thing that confuses me is how you can see through your viewfinder with the lens cap on? O_o

And I cant wear a ball cap when shooting, it gets in my way. I usually use a soft brimmed safari hat.

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #4    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'll admit I drove about 10 miles over to the next town to photograph a sunset. Got to the hill, setup the tripod, attached the cable release, removed the lens cap and turned on the camera..... "No Card Inserted"...... Arghhhhhh What the.......... my CF card was sitting in the card reader attached to my computer at home.

After swearing for about 20 minutes I began a search of my bag and in a dark corner I found an old Hitachi 1GB Micro Drive... I wasn't even sure if it would work, but I thorugh it in, hit format and to my surprise it worked. Grabbed a few shots that night but missed alot of the action prior not knowing I had a card in the bag. Now I carry at least 3 or 4 just in case.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #5    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I have my share of but and tail shots where I spent too much time watching the action rather thancaoturing the action. Its certainly mesmirizing watching a good handling team in action on a difficult course.

I remember on another site there was a Medusa thread which was specifically to show off our "flubs" If I recall Pith was the one who started it.

What I really liked about that galery was not just the OMG and LOL factor, but recognizing that I make the same mistakes at times as everyone else.
  #6    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

OH I have a pile of them. Mostly with me. I tend to go places I shouldnt. . One time walking across the top of a steep gorge, and didnt see the root of a tree sticking out of the gound. My foot hooked under it and it was like a bad hockey trip. I slid down the side of the gorge about 10' face down. Came up all bloodied , scratched and sore as stink, but eventually scaled down that same gorge to get a photo.
One time walking along the lake front, I didnt see the big piece of metal that was sticking out of the ground, and same thing...it caught my foot, and down I went, like the drunk holding the beer in the air, I landed full face in the dirt, with the camera held proudly above my head.

Another time I shimmied out on a tree limb to get a shot of a river, only to start feeling the tree limb crack under me. Have you ever tried to get a 6'1" frame to shimmey backwards? Just as I was about to touch land, the tree limb cracked, snapped and broke into the river. I managed to hang on with one hand before I was to slid into a river, again holding my camera up. Took a bit to get my arse upright again.

I have fallen in holes in abandoned buildings, walked into things, that I swear were not there when I started to walk that way.

oh...the list goes on.

As for camera mishaps, I have only had one time where I drove about an hour out of the city only to find I never charged the batteries. Other then that Im my own hazzard.
Visit me here..Room57
  #7    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

The most frequent is accidentally changing ISO settings (sometimes it happens when the camera is in the bag)

My Flickr

Save A Dolphin
  #8    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Well, lets see... mistakes I have made multiple times in just the past few years:
- Forgot to check the ISO
- Forgot to check the exposure mode
- Left exposure compensation set to a high value
- Brought the wrong lens(es)
- Left the camera at home (once may have been excusable, but twice?)
- Left batteries on the chargers at home
- Forgot to charge the batteries

All of these issues occurred when I was in a hurry and didn't take the time to think about what I was doing and/or I got complacent and left things for the last minute. I now try to slow down a bit and deliberately think about what I am doing, both in preparation for a shoot as well as during the shoot, and I find that I make fewer of these errors (surprise!).

Good luck,
Richard Baker
  #9    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Exposure compensation and ISO seem to be the two that I`ve forgotten. I once shot a whole baptism at ISO 6400. Smooth baby skin was not the end result.

And like Carl (Spicoli) I am sometimes my own worst enemy. I recently had to remind myself that I am not 20...or 30... any more. [just a few...decades... older than that] Out on a photo outing I tried to scale a fence to get into an old mill building. Got over ok, took some nice shots, but then coming back over was the undoing. Perched on top of the chain link fence, the 'pricklies' catching on to my shoes and pants, and trying desperately to 'unhook' my clothing I finally had to let go and drop to the ground - taking out the back end of my pants from about mid-thigh to half-way up my butt. The resulting scratches itched for a month. Of course the best part - or worst part - was being with 3 other people when this little 'mishap' occurred.

And earlier in the spring, I was trying to get some 'down low' shots of some rapids. Stepping down on some rocks on the edge of the river they suddenly got a heck of a lot slicker when I crouched down to look through the viewfinder of my camera mounted low on the tripod. Luckily, I was able to grab a branch/tree root at the side, while holding my tripod-mounted camera above the water line. I only got soaked to about my waist before scrambling back up onto the side.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #10    Top
Old April 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon_Mario View Post
I only got soaked to about my waist before scrambling back up onto the side.
You and Carl both need to think seriously about getting,(or borrowing), a pair of waders, even if you aren't fishermen.
It's a whole lot easier to stay dry in them.
I've used mine in the middle of winter, and kept dry while kneeling or standing in the water. It's also easier to get to spots that may not have dry rocks to stand on.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner