Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Biggest full moon of the year for photography

So - this Saturday (at least in Eastern Canada & US) if the skies are clear you will be able to see and photograph the largest full moon of the year. You can get some additional info at this website:

http://earthsky.org/tonight/is-bigge...12-a-supermoon

as well as info about the moon in various parts of the world.

I figure that if the weather holds up, there is a good chance that I will be out on the rural roads looking for a wonderful photo of the moon, maybe with some nice barn buildings in the foreground.

Just thought I would mention this for any of you that are interesting in some night time and lunar photo opps.

By the way, there is a wonderful FREE desktop program called "The Photographers Ephemeris" that is an indispensible tool for anyone interested in sunset/sunrise and moonset/moonrise photography. Basically you can enter your position in the maps interface and the program will show you the direction and time for sets and rises of the moon and sun.

NOTE: I am in now way connected with either of the sites. I just find them invaluable tools for planning sunset and or moon shots.

The Photographers Ephemeris can be found on http://photoephemeris.com/ and as mentioned is a free download for the desktop version. There is also a Smart phone/tablet version but they want $ for that one.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #2    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:54 PM
Elite Member
Re: Biggest full moon of the year for photography

The size of the moon will not be noticeable if you are using the same camera and lens as you did the last time you took photos of the full moon in an uncropped photo. If you used an APS-C sized camera with a 500mm f4 with a 1.4x TC for both, and enlarged the entire frame to 8x12" it MAY be 1/32" larger in comparison.

lrp

c

Last edited by Nikon_Mario; May 4th, 2012 at 06:39 AM. Reason: removed extra spacing that seemed to appear between initials and sig line
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

This is going to make for some awesome howling too. Cant wait to hit the lake.
Visit me here..Room57
  #4    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizer View Post
The size of the moon will not be noticeable if you are using the same camera and lens as you did the last time you took photos of the full moon in an uncropped photo. If you used an APS-C sized camera with a 500mm f4 with a 1.4x TC for both, and enlarged the entire frame to 8x12" it MAY be 1/32" larger in comparison.

lrp
I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is that the size of the moon as it rises above the horizon will appear larger than it normally does. So getting a good vantage point with some objects silhouetted in front might make for some interesting photos. Don't shoot the moon - shoot the horizon and objects in front of the moon.

Here is one link:

http://www.space.com/11163-supermoon...moon-2011.html

and here are some 'super moon' photos from last year that a quick search turned up:

http://www.space.com/11178-supermoon...er-images.html

Granted different lenses are going to produce different results. But anyone that's been wanting to experiment with photographing scenes that include a full moon, this Saturday could provide some optimal conditions - dependent on weather of course.

Here is a search on Google images for photos from last year that might inspire some ideas.

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com

Last edited by Nikon_Mario; May 3rd, 2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added link
  #5    Top
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:28 PM
Recent Photo: Horses In Winter
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks for the information Mario. We will be at the lake on the weekend which usually means the absence of city lights.

Some people are only as happy as they make up their minds to be.
  #6    Top
Old May 4th, 2012, 03:45 AM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Very cool, thanks for the heads up!!
  #7    Top
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Winter - Thames River
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks for the heads up.
Need to find a good spot to photograph from.

My Flickr

Save A Dolphin
  #8    Top
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Lifelong Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kot View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
Need to find a good spot to photograph from.
As I mentioned in my first post, the Photographers Ephemeris can be an invaluable tool for scouting a location ahead of time. It works with a google maps interface. You basically plot a point on the map and then you can get the time and path for sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset. You can also specify the day you want to see the paths for. It gives you a compass angle. So if you have a basic compass with degrees marked on it (or your smart phone's compass) then you can set up at the spot you've chosen, face the direction of the compass angle and see the path that the rise/set will occur.

So for example, I drove around some rural roads in my area and spotted some barns and silos in a few locations that I though might make a good silhouette against the moonrise. I went back to my computer, fired up the program and plotted the locations on the map in the program. Set the date and it gave me the angle. I went back and checked that the angle will work with the buildings I want as the silhouette.

So I have some locations and I just need to decide which one I want to plant myself at for Saturday night. I hope the weather holds up and it is clear like they are forecasting right now.

This is the first time that I've used the Ephemeris to plan a shot ahead of time. I know a few photographers that swear by it so I decided to give it a shot for this event. If it works for me, then I might spring for the version to have on my smart phone so that I don't have to do the "find location, go home and plot location, get angle, drive back to check angle" - with the price of gas, it might be a good investment

I have used it for sunset shots when I am at a location that I am unfamiliar with and wondering about where the sun will set.

NOTE: As I mentioned earlier I am in now way connected with the program. I just think it's a great tool to have if you are interested in shooting sunsets/sunrises, moonsets/moonrises.

The Photographers Ephemeris can be found on http://photoephemeris.com/ and as mentioned is a free download for the desktop version. There is also a Smart phone/tablet version but they want $10 for that one.

#9    Top
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

The full moon won't be noticeably larger tonight simply because it's closest to us in its orbit this year--despite what the popular news srticles would have you believe. However, one of the benefits of this supermoon to those of us in the northern and western hemisphere is that the moorise occurs just after sunset. Thus, it will be at its fullest and brightest as it rises above the horizon. The moon appears largest on the horizon against familiar objects, even to a wider lens. Put a farmhouse, tree, Eiffel Tower in front of it, and the moon will seem huge, especially with the scene compression a telephoto lens would contribute.

Mario, as for The Photographer's Ephemeris, I've used it a couple of years now to plan my shots, and I've found it an indispensible tool. I've even purchased both the iTunes and Android versions. Keep in mind, it's a great program for planning sunrise and sunset shots, too!

flickr Photostream
  #10    Top
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Lifelong Learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjin_nav View Post
The full moon won't be noticeably larger tonight simply because it's closest to us in its orbit this year--despite what the popular news srticles would have you believe. However, one of the benefits of this supermoon to those of us in the northern and western hemisphere is that the moorise occurs just after sunset. Thus, it will be at its fullest and brightest as it rises above the horizon. The moon appears largest on the horizon against familiar objects, even to a wider lens. Put a farmhouse, tree, Eiffel Tower in front of it, and the moon will seem huge, especially with the scene compression a telephoto lens would contribute.

Mario, as for The Photographer's Ephemeris, I've used it a couple of years now to plan my shots, and I've found it an indispensible tool. I've even purchased both the iTunes and Android versions. Keep in mind, it's a great program for planning sunrise and sunset shots, too!
Thanks for the input. Glad to hear that someone else is using the Ephemeris. I am considering the paid version for my iPhone. One of those things that if you like to plan ahead then it seems like another tool that takes some of the guesswork out of the equation.

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner