Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Metallic paper prints

I just received my image back from AdoramaPix that I had enlarged and printed to metallic paper. It is absolutely breath-taking!! It's so real-looking you almost have to touch it to make sure you're looking at a photograph (words of the wife ). And, AdoramaPix ships your photos FLAT, not rolled. If you don't think that makes a difference, try getting a rolled up 16x20 to lie perfectly flat! Here's the image I had done by AdoramaPix.

http://toths.us/GJT
Matthew 25:31-46
Feel free to comment/critique my images.
  #2    Top
Old May 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Mathey College
Re: Metallic paper prints

I use metallic paper for a lot of prints, the latest being the Manhattan skyline at dusk.
I do, however ALWAYS ask for them mounted. It generally costs about half again the price of the print.This way there is no danger of it being damaged due to improper handling by me and it is much easier to frame.
  #3    Top
Old May 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I can imagine that this looks stunning, especially on metallic paper. I'd hang this on my wall, too.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou R View Post
I use metallic paper for a lot of prints, the latest being the Manhattan skyline at dusk.
I do, however ALWAYS ask for them mounted. It generally costs about half again the price of the print.This way there is no danger of it being damaged due to improper handling by me and it is much easier to frame.
Good tip. I've just really "discovered" metallic paper. It sure does a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gems View Post
I can imagine that this looks stunning, especially on metallic paper. I'd hang this on my wall, too.
Thanks, Sabine! It truly does. I just can't get over the difference it makes.
  #5    Top
Old May 19th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Very nice Gary, glad you are happy with it.
Bill H.
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I have done a bunch of stuff lately with the metallic print finish. They are just awesome!

It really makes the prints jump right off the wall at you. People that I show them to just have this look of amazement on their faces when they see them.

Next up for me is to try one of those aluminum prints..... I'm just waiting for the right shot which will be worthy of this endeavor.....

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #7    Top
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I've recently had several metallic prints done from Adorama, and they are indeed stunning. Their books are excellent too.

My wife's favorite photo of mine ever. I had it done at 16x20 and at 11x14.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flam11x14.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	88573  
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #8    Top
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Senior VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
I've recently had several metallic prints done from Adorama, and they are indeed stunning. Their books are excellent too.

My wife's favorite photo of mine ever. I had it done at 16x20 and at 11x14.
I'll bet that IS a real stunner on metallic paper! I've just uploaded this one for a 16x20 on metallic. I have the perfect frame for it, too.

#9    Top
Old May 19th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

This triptych is/are the first metallic print(s) I had done and I've been hooked on them ever since. The effect looks great with B&W.

and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #10    Top
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I have done a bunch of stuff lately with the metallic print finish. They are just awesome!

It really makes the prints jump right off the wall at you. People that I show them to just have this look of amazement on their faces when they see them.

Next up for me is to try one of those aluminum prints..... I'm just waiting for the right shot which will be worthy of this endeavor.....
I just ordered an 11x14 metal *aluminum* print from WHCC, it should be here on Monday. I cant wait to see it! If I like how it looks I plan on doing a 6 print collection for my portrait studio. In 3 years no one has purchased a canvas print from me, so I figured its time for something new. the only problem is whcc doesnt offer the sizes I want.

I want to do a 32x20 central print, with three 10x10 prints below it, and a 16x20 print on either side offset, with the 25% of the left one higher than the 32x20 and the right one 25% lower than the 10x10. there will be a 1" spacing between all the prints. I was going to get metal bolts in the corners of each one but that will raise the price by 30%, and the acrylic cover on them all is to expensive to even think about.

I like metallic paper, but so far I haven't been able to sell any of it, everyone just wants regular matte paper.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner