Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Micro 4/3rds vs. Sony NEX

Okay... been in a bit of an equipment quandary lately. I've been using a Panasonic Lumix GX1 micro 4/3rds system for the past few months. I wanted a more compact system for the times I didn't need or want to carry my Canon 1D MKIII around. The GX1 stood out, fit my budget and has performed well.

But the more I used the GX1 I wanted a little more. Mainly with design features. Enter the Sony NEX 5n and Olympus OMD E5. I could only afford one and deciding was tough.

The Olympus OMD E5 would use the same lenses as my Panasonic. It has a tilt lcd that I'm needed (old bones don't bend as well as they used to) and has a decent pool of lenses to draw from.

The Sony NEX 5n has a smaller pool of lenses, the tilt LCD but uses an APS-C sensor. The larger sensor would handle noise better, low light situations better, and image quality a bit better (not saying the micro 4/3rd image quality is shabby).

I was a little concerned at the lack of lenses for the Sony NEX. On either system, I can get an adapter to use my Canon lenses or find older legacy lenses (manual focus/aperture) to use. It then dawned on me that I was trying to evaluate this purchase against the Canon DSLR. I had to remind myself this wasn't a camera to replace the Canon but rather supplement it. I didn't need a 300mm f2.8 type lens or 15fps on this camera.

All I need for this camera was a 30mmish prime and a mid-range zoom. Both systems have such in their lens pool. So it all boils down to what we've told others for years. There's really not a bad camera out there. The secret is finding the one that fits your needs and tastes the best.

I like the Olympus OMD E-5 but the Sony is lighter and feels more comfortable in my hands. Plus it'll save me a few bucks and it's simply a neat camera. In testing both out, I think I said "cool" twice as much with the Sony as I did with the Olympus.

I'll sleep on it one more day but it looks like I'm opting for the Sony NEX 5n and will likely put the GX1 on the market along with the two micro four thirds lenses I have.

So I share this story with you to re-affirm that while reading all the reviews available, seeing others opinion, and tossing coins may help but in the end what counts is what feels best in your hands and meets your needs the best - be it a micro four thirds camera, DSLR or point and shoot camera.
  #2    Top
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Re: Micro 4/3rds vs. Sony NEX

Neat how an adapter can really expand the capabilities of these small cameras.

#3    Top
Old July 4th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Wow thats a big lens on a tiny camera LOL. Basically it always comes down to the camera you can afford that will provide the features you need for taking photos.
  #4    Top
Old July 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Premiere Member

I'd go with the OMD just because I'd love to give the Oly 12mm and 45mm a go(silver body of course).
  #5    Top
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

New rumor is the E-M5 has a Sony sensor. I have owned both and the E-M5 is as good as the NEX 7 in image quality. The OMD is the best compact camera on the market. I sold my NEX 7. Bought a backup Sony a850 and a E-M5.
  #6    Top
Old July 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM

Well... after using the Sony for a few days around the house, it's too small. Great if you're not going beyond the kit lens in size but add a larger lens and it just feels awkward. Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera but I find I'm wanting a little more beef in my camera and a few more controls.

So now the call is between the E-P3 and the OMD E-5. The E-5 has the newer sensor (which I've heard is a Panasonic) and better in camera stabilization. But that's not to say the E-P3 is a light weight. It has an older sensor that performs nicely as long as you keep the ISO down below 800.

I have to admit this choice is a little harder than I thought. I am reminding myself that I'm not buying a replacement for the Canon 1D MKIII but I've use the Canon system for so long, it's hard to find a clear stand out amongst these smaller systems.

If I had to build a system from everything I've tried I would pluck the sensor from the Panasonic GX1 and Panasonic's Menu System, the body style and filter set from the the OM-D E-5 and Olympus's in-body IS, and the tilt/touch screen and pano feature from the Sony NEX.

Knowing my luck, once I settle on a micro 4/3 Canon will announce their own micro camera that has all the features I like rolled into one camera.