Bigger Memory Cards Versus More Memory Cards - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old July 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Photography Anchorman
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Bigger Memory Cards Versus More Memory Cards

Periodically, I succumb to the insanely low prices to be had on compact flash memory cards. You've probably at least been tempted yourself. The obvious question to be asked when considering such a purchase is whether it's better to carry fewer large capacity memory cards or a greater number of smaller ones....

Read More...
  #2    Top
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:54 AM
Spammer
Re: Bigger Memory Cards Versus More Memory Cards

flash memory cards in low price. Here i have some question ? What what device accept the memory cards ?

Is this card supported easily and here not any software to covert the files to upload the memory card ?

Here you refer you website , i think its better to discuss more details about the card in this forum.
  #3    Top
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Elite Member

Being that this is a Photo forum the "Corner Reporter" is referring to memory cards that are used in cameras. The ones used in most cameras are either the CF I or CF II or various SD cards. Your cell phone uses a memory card but not one that is used in cameras. CF cards are pretty much designed for cameras whereas the SD cards can be used in other items such as digital photo frames and perhaps (I don't know) iPads and other devices. Some cameras will take both. Usually one slot for a CF card and the other for SD cards.

I agree totally with the authors recommendation of using Lexar or SanDisk cards. I hav always used SanDisk cards and in the past six years I have never had a problem except not being able to find an SD card because it was so small that it had crept into a small crevice or corner of my lugage. I prefer cameras that use CF cards but one camera I want needs SD cards so I will have to make the change. Most P&S cameras use SD cards.

I like to take my photos using the finest JPEG +RAW images and want a card that will hold 250-300 seperate photos. If I do loose the card I haven't lost everything on a trip that could happen if I had a 32GB card that will hold 1200 images. Some professionals do need the high capacity cards.

The sites do not support a card. They support you transfering your photos from your computer by various methods and sometimes their own method. You can take a card to anyplace that makes digital photos to have them made into prints and have a CD of them made also. Also Picassa also will do it. Most of us do have special programs that cost from $50-$1500 to perfect out photos or do special digital work on them. Mine cost $50 at Costco when a friend that belongs to them bought it for me but when I went to get a newer version two years later it cost $100 at most other stores.
  #4    Top
Old July 21st, 2012, 05:26 PM

I prefer a few big cards rather than a whole bunch of little ones. I've not only used name brands, but also cheapo brands at bargain prices. I've never had one fail (knock on wood). I prefer large capacity cards because I have a lot of trouble keeping up with a bunch of small capacity cards. In the heat of a shoot, I find that it's really bothersome to have to stop everything to take out a full card and put in an empty one. As for cheapo cards, they seem to perform just as well as the more expensive name brands. Maybe they're a little slower but, for me, it's not a problem.

Ron
  #5    Top
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:19 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: jp2
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Personally, this article left a taste akin to cotton candy in my mouth....mostly air. Other articles have been decent to good.

Memory cards are both simple and complex....and vendors seem to strive to make it as difficult as possible, akin to mattress makers who change the covering to disguise the lineup in one store vs another. Some reference read speeds (superfluous IMO) and other the write speed. Some reference their speeds in terms of MB/sec; others referene 66x, 100x, ......., 600x; even others reference Class speed (ie Class 2, ......,10), and some reference UDMA standards #'s (I think 7 is the most recent, fastest).

The best, and perhaps only, place to sort thru all of this BS is to view Rob Galbraith's CF/SD/XQD Performance database site (here linked to Canon 5D II's performances), find YOUR camera, and then read the test results. Note that every camera tops out at certain theoretical levels (5D II's is 45 MB/s write). There is no point in paying for higher performing memory cards UNLESS you anticipate a near future acquisition of an even faster camera. One could argue that the only time the read speed is applicable is when downloading to your computer. Note that there can be any number of bottlenecks that determine the actual speed.

Card speed and capacity come into play very little for folks taking single shots with time for contemplation between shots. For photogs doing rapid fire sports/action/wildlife etc shooting and/or video, capacity and speed (up to the limits of the camera's ability to write) are crucial.

Note that I expected to find similar performances on simlarly rated CF vs SD cards...but NO! Even on the faster 5D III, SD (actually SDHC or SDXC) cards lagged FAR behind their sibling CF cards. I called Sandisk and eventually got a knowledgeable tech that confirmed the faster SD cards are ONLY possible if the camera (or other device) has implemented UHS-1 technology. Without that (which the Canons apparently hadn't), speeds defaulted to the MUCH slower default rate of 20 MB/s (vs theoreticals of 90).

We should also note that Rob Galbraith recently announced that while his site won't be taken down, he no longer has the time to continue adding to it, ie there apparenty will be no additional testing. Its been a tremendous resource over the past 6-7 years.
  #6    Top
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'm with Ron on this one, I have a couple 32GB Transcend cards that have treated me very well over a couple years. I can fit almost an entire airshow (~1400 RAW shots) on one card. I also have 2 Sandisk 8GB cards, a Sandisk 4GB card and even a Hitachi 1 GB Micro Drive, that I can fall back on and none of which has given me any issues.

Out on a airstrip I try to minimize the number of times I have to open anything on my camera. You just don't know where the junk can end up.

This doesn't mean something won't fail further on down the road but I feel pretty secure at this point with what I have now. Of course if I was shooting a wedding or something like that I most certainly would bring an array of smaller cards to work with.

Find what you love and let it kill you.....

Charles Bukowski

Support My 2014 Pan Mass Challenge Ride to Cure Cancer

My Official Gear List
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:25 PM

I prefer Big cards, Tomorrow i purchase a Sandisk 8 GB memory card online for my camera.
  #8    Top
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Recent Photo: La Jolla Covetx400
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I have 2 16GB cf cards, a 8GB CF car and 4GB CF card and assorted SD cards from 1-8GB. The d300s uses both cards. I usually try to have everything on the CF cards and use an 8GB SD card for "spill over" as I cannot change cards in the middle of a dog event. It also works out that by the time I fill up my 16GB card its also time to change batteries to maintain that nice burst rate.