Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Dragonfly
War cemetary

I took some photos of the war cemetary, and did a black and white conversion. I was interested to see how well most of the military badges showed up with the conversion.

I also took some shots around an old cemetary where there are some weathered monuments marking some of the graves.

#2    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: War cemetary

very nice Sue, I like the b&w conversion especially on the first image, I like how the light illuminates the top of each headstone, war is such a sad thing, I enlarged that image as I was curious what was said on them, I noted that most of those people were in their early 20's,, so sad really !!!
  #3    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Premiere Member

Yes, I spent some time wandering round and reading the names and ages, too. It hits home when I think that one of my nephews would be going if we had the same circumstances now that took these boys to war. Thank you for the comments - glad you like them!
  #4    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I have a twenty yr old son thats serving in Germany now, I'd hate the thought of anything happening to him !! nothing worse for a parent then to lose a loved one,, SO many parents have had to endure such grief, it sickens me really,,
back to that first photo though, it looks like it was taken in mid day light, which traditionally is not optimal for photography, but that light has totally outlined each headstone and really added punctuation to each and every stone in this image, its really quite nice, I do think this image has much more power in B&W too then if it were color, that light surrounding each stone against the dark blacks really adds punch,, nice work
  #5    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Premiere Member

Thanks, Jim, and you are right, it was near the middle of the day when I took this. Given that the stones are a clean white marble I was lucky to get it as clearly as I did, I think. It must be a worrying time for you, too. I hope your son continues to be OK. Thank you, too, for the positive feedback. Sue
  #6    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Recent Photo: Army Tribute

Ditto Jim's comments. I'm sure the color version really washes out the illumination of each stone. Nice capture.
  #7    Top
Old August 15th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Really like these in black and white. The first is my fave of the two.

We have a few cemeteries here, that have a "childrens" area. Always sad to walk there.
Visit me here..Room57
  #8    Top
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Premiere Member

Thank you for the comments. You are right, Jimbo, that the colour version really doesn't show the work on the stones at all. Interesting to have a children's area in a cemetery - it would be a sad place, I can imagine. We have a few cemeteries here where there are quite large monuments, sometimes to children, with photos and toys etc. Really hits home. Sue
  #9    Top
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:36 AM

I do some genealogy research and have spent a lot of time looking through cemeteries. It never occurred to me to try photos like those you took. I have taken lots of individual photos of specific headstones for myself and findagrave.com. I really like the first image and agree B/W really adds to the image.
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:26 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

It's really something that a place like this is so sad and can look so beautiful at the same time. Very nicely captured and a wonderful b&w photo.
Please tell us where this place is.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places