Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Old Rusty

I drive by this water tower every day to and from work. It has captured my attention, and for the last two weekends I've tried to capture it myself. This series is from morning light. I'll be trying again, I'm sure, in evening light.

I took these first two shots 10 days ago. With dull, overcast skies, I could only concentrate on the details.

1) This box is on the main shaft of the water tower. I have no idea what it is. I liked the diagonal it formed with the handles below it, though. The light was very flat and uninteresting, so I converted to black and white in Silver Efex Pro 2.

Tower Shaft Objects by anjin_nav, on Flickr
Aperture Priority, f/2.8, 1/15s, ISO 200, Nikon 24-70 at 31 mm, tripod, shutter release

2) I liked the shape of these handles, and tried to capture their symmetry. It was also part of the exercise to take as many picutres as I could from as many angles as possible. When I got home, my wife told me she didn't know I photographed nudes!

Tower Handles, B&W.jpg by anjin_nav, on Flickr
Aperture Priority, f/2.8, 1/4s, +1EV, ISO 200, Nikon 24-70 @ 36mm, tripod, shutter release

These next few are taken in much better light this last weekend.

3) I wanted some "blue hour" shots, so I set this one up. I like the saturated colors from the longer shutter, but it needs something...

Water Tower and Clouds at Dawn, Horizontal.jpg by anjin_nav, on Flickr
Aperture Priority, f/11, ISO 200, Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm, tripod, fill flash, shutter release

4) ...ah, yes. That's it. Wonderful sidelighting!

Water Tower in Dawn Sidelight.jpg by anjin_nav, on Flickr
Aperture Priority, f/11, 1/20s, -2EV, ISO 200, Nikon 24070 @ 70mm, tripod, shutter release

5) On my way out, I saw this mural painted in a little covered theater in the city park. It turns out it's made "by committee." Each square is a numbered tile that was hand painted then assembled into the mural. I was able to get almost perpendicular to it with the 14-24. I'd like to point out how nearly distortion free all those lines are. I'll have to go back and capture this in a pano to get all the glorious detail.

We Heart CTCC.jpg by anjin_nav, on Flickr
Aperture Priority, f/11, 1/45s, ISO 200, Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm, tripod, shutter release

As always, I invite your candid criticism, whether here or in "Critiques." It's how I learn and how I improve.

flickr Photostream
  #2    Top
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Old Rusty

Wow Tim, Great stuff. That water tower is absolutley beautiful. A lesson in proper light for landscape photography.
Bill H.
  #3    Top
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:19 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Very nice series...i love the texture in those b&w shots...well done.
  #4    Top
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:51 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

quite a fun set here Tim !! Your wife has quite the sense of humor I got a chuckle out that one !! I really like #2 and #3 in this set,, I do like the texture and symmetry in #2 along with the conversion there, I also really like the saturated colors that are presented in #3 along with the warm afternoon sun, that makes a great combination very nice "side lighting" and composition in #4 too !!
  #5    Top
Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Hey nice to see some stuff from the new location Tim!

Very nice series too! I really like the fourth shot with the side lighting. You can really feel the warmth from the tower here.

The third is nicely done and has great saturation of colors in the foreground foliage, great dramatic clouds and sky and the light is coming around on the tower. If anything (and I'm not even sure about that) I keep thinking that maybe the landscape orientation thats taking away the ooomph factor.....

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Tim
On the 1st 2 B&W's I'd guess that less diffused, ie more directional, sidelighting would really make the texture pop...and you know I'm a fan of diffused lighting!

John makes a valid point about the orientation of vertical vs landscape. I also think that the beautifully vibrant greens in #3 steal some of the thunder from the tower. It's also place just a tad high for max dominance...IMHO. Great clouds/sky in both.

Gotta love the unique and richly colored #5....especially with the story of its making.
  #7    Top
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thanks for taking time to reply, Bill, Marty, Jim, John, and Russ. I think there's a good picture at this location somewhere. As for the horizontal composition, part of what I was trying to accomplish was to capture a triangle between the yellow flower, the tower, and the tree to the left. I must agree, though, that the composition isn't terribly strong. A little secret, by the way: it's HDR to capture the dynamic range in the clouds.

I only had to wait a few minutes for the sunrise. I knew the light would look good on the tower. What I didn't anticipate, though, was the effect the sidelighting would have on the trees and flower.

Well, I'll keep going back to find just that right setup--I know one's there. Hmmmm....it might not even be during the daytime.

flickr Photostream
  #8    Top
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Water Fountain

These are wonderful shots! I like all the photos, but the 1st, 2nd and 4th ones are my favorites. I really love how the color of the water tower stands out. The lighting on this picture is perfect! Thanks for sharing!
  #9    Top
Old September 15th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Nice series Tim if you wife is wanting you to shoot nudes I can think of a water tank in Slab City CA that would be a fun shoot for you, Of course its much too hot to head out there this time of year.
  #10    Top
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Premiere Member

Thanks for the comments, isldgl and Clark.

flickr Photostream
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places