Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Local Sunset

I call it local because its 1.9 air miles, 2.5 road miles to this particular favorite location at a nearby park from where I frequently shoot sunsets. I say frequently because I can get to it so relatively quickly as conditions develop....and I'm usually catching the last part of the "show" by the time I grab my gear and get there.

All are SOOC and simply resized only.

1. At 7:42 PM and midway thru the sunset, we're transitioning from the yellows to oranges...but also lots of dark clouds.

Canon 5D II, 100-400mm @ 310
ISO-100, f-11, 1/10 sec., polarizer
tripod, MLU, cable release

2. After waiting and looking/shooting other angles from south to northwest looking for interesting developing shots, 26 shots later the light started to get good as it transitioned into the red then magenta phase of sunset at 7:58 PM.

Canon 5D II, 100-400mm @ 100
ISO-100, f-16, 2 sec., polarizer

3. As with #2, shooting somewhat southwest over Puget Sound's McNeil Island (right) and Anderson Island (left) with the Longbranch Peninsula in the background.

Canon 5D II, 100-400mm @ 190
ISO-100, f-16, 2 sec., polarizer

4. Finally at 8:02 PM a relatively narrow, low band of clouds on the horizon lent themselves to the last light for a few moments as follows, shooting directly west below the southern end of the Olympic Mtns.

Canon 5D II, 100-400mm @ 300
ISO-100, f-16, 5 sec., polarizer

5. And another as I played with compositional positioning of the sky, land, and water.

Canon 5D II, 100-400mm @ 300

6. And at 8:04 PM I captured the last on that night's "show".

Canon 5D II, 100-400mm @ 400

Your comments & critique are appreciated.
  #2    Top
Old September 9th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Local Sunset

these are awesome Russ !! LOVE the colors and composition you achieved there, beautiful reds and nice mountain structures against the blues of the waters below,, very nicely done !! I take it from all the "sooc" work youre not much into PP huh very nice !! its nice to have sites like that so close to you, I only wish I was that close to my favorite beach, I could just shoot over there anytime the skies were looking right
  #3    Top
Old September 9th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Beautiful captures of these wonderful sunsets. It's amazing how only one minute can change the coloring in the sky.
  #4    Top
Old September 9th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Magjic_Caverns
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Numbers 4,5&6 are the best on my monitor Russ, I love the colors in the sky and the Water.
Bill H.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I think there is an impression in the photography world that sunrises and sunsets are easy to photograph. Of course, they have even spawned a rule for the Golden Hour. I, however, have found they're no easier than any other photographic endeavor.

While you captured a great series of wonderful colors and sky textures, it seems to me 2 and 3 could use a stronger subject. That is what makes 4-6 so strong with a stronger focus on the mountains. It's kind of funny: as I was scrolling through 4 and 5, I thought with blue as a "heavier" color than the reds and oranges in the sky, you could crop out some of the water, and then in 6 that's what you did. While the skies aren't as powerful as in number 5, the composition feels stronger and more balanced. It's my favorite of the series.

I really appreciate most, however, the fact you keep going back, each time learning something new.

BTW, there seems to be a bit of sensor dust in the upper quarter, center frame. May be time for a sensor cleaning!

flickr Photostream
  #6    Top
Old September 9th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Recent Photo: Orchid

I like numbers 2 and 5 the very best, but they are all beautiful!
  #7    Top
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Jim, Marty, Bill, Tim, & MrsK,

Thanks for the comments. Doubtlessly a bit of adjustments and/or other PP could improve these....but that'll come later this fall along with short, rainy days. Until today the sun has been shining on an almost record breaking run (49 days vs record 51 without rain).
  #8    Top
Old September 11th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Water Fountain

Very well done! I too like the colors of the later shots, but i really like the composition in #3. I have always tried capturing the sunset, but could never achieve the colors that you have in your shots...any tips? Have you changed any of your settings in your camera? Like the color settings of the kelvin?
  #9    Top
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Great series Russ. There #4 takes first in class for me personally, but all are lovely images.

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
  #10    Top
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Account Disabled

isldgl & Jesse,

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldgl View Post
..............Have you changed any of your settings in your camera? Like the color settings of the kelvin?
I used to shoot sunrises/sets using AWB or occasionally "cheat" by using the Shade or Cloudy settings. These expect a bluer light and therefore bias everything to a warmer setting, thus tricked into further emphasizing the actual warm colors of rises/sets. Now I principally just use Daylight setting, disallowing AWB to bias AGAINST the warm hues. For giggles, and dramatic effect, I have occasionally taken a shot or 2 using Fluorescent setting. It works well in certain circumstances, not so well in others.

Otherwise, these are SOOC, ie straight out of the camera and unprocessed.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places