Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Paradise

I'm behind on images and leaving for a trip down the Oregon coast so (apology) I'm jamming some of these in threads before I leave.

This was taken 5 weeks ago, basically around what's referred to as the Paradise area of Mt Rainier National Park. Paradise is both the visitor center (main one of several) and a valley thru which runs the Paradise Creek/River. Not unexpectedly its also a paradise by any standards and a great place photographically. Rocky (aka squirl033) has recently shown photos from this area. Paradise is on the southern flanks of Mt Rainier with road access via the main entrance in the SW corner (Nisqually entrance) and also from the SE corner (Ohanopecosh entrance). Between the 2 entrances is great access to lots of beauty including the Stevens Canyon area (except closed this fall due to road maintenance!)

All are SOOC, ie unprocessed other than resizing for here. Yes, there's still that little dust goobie...ever try to "clone" out using Paint!!!! Don't!

1. You've seen it before....but I never tire of it. Every time is a little different, ie time of year and thus angle of light, time of day, cloud/sky conditions, snowpack vs wildflowers, etc. This is Reflection Lake with Rainier's reflection...if using the right angle!

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 35
ISO-100, f-16, 1/8 sec, polarizer, GND
tripod, MLU, cable release

2. After years of tolerating access, increasingly by the growing multitudes of photographers, to shoreline points despite ample signs, the area is now using slightly stronger steps and has replanted the shoreline.....this lessens but does NOT eliminate the misuse.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 47
ISO-100, f-16, 115/ sec, polarizer, GND

3. Why do you suppose they call it Reflection Lake..... Note the diminished stature of the mountain due to use of wide angle lens. Tip: note that the GND was placed too low, making the tree line too dark. PP could compensate. Also the tipoff to use of too strong of a GND (probably a +3) is that the reflected sky is much brighter than the actual...normally should be -1 stop darker).

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 32
ISO-100, f-16, 1/13 sec, polarizer, GND

4. Behind me (to the south) is the Tatoosh Range including Pinnacle Peak, another often photographed peak with STUNNING views of Rainier.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 60
ISO-100, f-11, 1/13 sec, polarizer, GND

5. Proceeding a bit further east down Stevens Canyon, taken at a severe switchback above Unicorn Creek and Martha Falls emanating from Snow Lake (all shown in the past). We're looking into the upper section of Stevens Canyon and the SE flank of Rainier and Little Tahoma peak to the right.

Canon 5D II, 24-105mm @ 45
ISO-100, f-11, 1/25 sec, polarizer, GND

Your comments and critique are always welcome. After today(?) I'll only be occasionally able to access here until I get back (7-10??? days).

Last edited by Russ; September 10th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
  #2    Top
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Recent Photo: Army Tribute
Re: Paradise

Russ, I'll never tire of looking at photos of Rainier! One of the best features of the mountain is that it looks different in every direction and in different lighting. I really do miss living out there and am seriously considering moving back when my contract is up at my hospital here in Maine. Moved out here simply for the wife. Now that she's out of the picture, you are really making me yearn to go back!!

I have really stopped using my GND on reflection shots simply because of what you just mentioned. It looks awkward and processed (even though it wasn't!). I pretty much use LR4 to adjust the exposures on these - either with the GND filter tool (most of the time), or using the adjusting the saturation/luminosity of the blue if it is not too blown out. Not perfect, but does look pretty good. I'm sure there are other ways in PS to do it, but I'm not nearly as adept at PS as I am in LR.

Keep these coming, can't wait to see what you get in Oregon.
  #3    Top
Old September 10th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

You got some amazing blue skies, Russ. I'm assuming you stacked the GND with a polarizer? Regardless, I love those blues.

You've shown reflection from these angles, but frankly I don't remember as much greens as you have here. The saturated colors are really nice. It's been a long time since I've commented on how amazingly sharp your pictures always are. I can't remember. Is this autofocus, or do you focus manually?

Enjoy your trip!

flickr Photostream
  #4    Top
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Ice_storm_3
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

That's a very beautiful place. I love #3.

"Let your words be few, and your exposures many."
  #5    Top
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Water Fountain

I too agree with Rubina...I love the reflection of #3! So is there skiing there?
  #6    Top
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Definitely paradise! Love the reflection in #3. One of the places that has been on my list. Not enough days or $$ to get to everything, so it's always a pleasure to see such fine photos of places I'd like to be

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #7    Top
Old September 13th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

these are absolutely gorgeous Russ !! what unbelievably beautiful country you have at your access !!! all the images in this set are stellar my friend !! yes. weve seen em before but how can you ever get tired of this type of scenery !! I dont !! very well done !!
I'm curious, to your eyes, being a long time user of your 20D how you like the image quality of the 5 D ? I may have asked you this before, but I've longed for a FF sensor camera myself for a long time, images such as these are what that camera is made for !! when I look at your images, for being "sooc" they have such detail and balance plus when you crop your images like in your Rodeo work they hold up very well,, I assume you will say it was well worth your investment