Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Cloning Primer (revised)

Cloning is a technique we can use to cover unwanted elements in an image. It involves copying a portion of the image, and “painting “ it over the portion that we wish to remove. There are many applications, but for now we will just be filling in an area.

In general, I rarely use cloning to improve an image, but there are times when it becomes necessary. This tutorial is for those who’ve never tried using the technique, or have been less than pleased with results the few times they have.

I will use this picture that was taken by fellow member, and friend Sarah, (sjonee).
Thank you Sarah! I will be using Photoshop CS5.
In this case Sarah managed to capture a great pose through glass that is covered with raindrops. As you can see, she also caught the top of a car door that seems to detract from the overall composition, (figure 1).

There is a fair amount of door to get rid of, so the first thing we can do is simply crop out as much as we can, so that we have less area to clone away.

I chose to crop at a 4x5 ratio, as it left everything I wanted to keep in the image, except for a small portion of the door, without destroying a lovely composition, (figure 2).

Before we actually begin cloning, we need to choose the proper settings so that what is painted in blends well with the surrounding area.

In (figure 3), there are several settings highlighted. Moving from left to right: Brush size:

The size brush that you choose relates with the size of the area you wish to clone, and just as importantly, the portion you wish to use as your source. (The area you need to copy).

To show the popup menu, click on the arrow by the pixel number box. I chose a brush 75 pixels wide with a hardness value of 12%, (figure 4).

The higher the value, the harder the edge will look, and you run the risk of making what you paint in look like strokes or a series of polka dots. If you use a very large brush with a soft edge, (low hardness value), it will tend to bleed more into portions of the image you don’t want touched. You may need to try a few different sizes and hardness values to see what will work best in any particular situation. No matter the size brush I use, I rarely use more than 20% hardness value, and nearly always use a round brush.

Mode:

The mode controls how the brush behaves with lightness, darkness, transparency, etc.

For this demonstration, we will leave the mode set to normal. You can experiment with the other settings on your own to see what effect each one has.

The mode settings make cloning effective for much more than simply filling in an area.

Opacity:

Opacity controls the transparency of the brush, which can help you with blending in the area.

Since the area to be covered is black, I will use 100% opacity. Another reason for doing so is the fact that our clone source will have drops within it and trying to fill in with less than 100% will leave oddly transparent drops that will not match the rest of the image.

Flow:

If you click the little icon next the flow box, you will activate the airbrush feature. This will cause the brush to act sort of like spray paint. If you click hold your mouse button, the brush will “spray” and expand the clone source gradually like a spray paint. I prefer not to use this feature.

Aligned sample: controls how the source point behaves. If you check the box, the source will follow your brush wherever your brush is on the image, regardless if you are painting with it or not. Uncheck it and the source point will stay in one spot. In this case, leaving it unchecked works best for me.

We should also make it so the brush shows what we cloning. In (figure 5), you will see an icon highlighted. When you click on that a menu will pop up with the tab clone source showing, (figure 6). In the highlighted portion you can see that the show overlay box is checked. You should also make sure the clipped box is checked.

One vital step before the actual cloning begins is to create a separate layer to work on. It is always best to make your adjustments on layers. That way you can delete the layer if you don’t like what you did without having to close the document. You can also take advantage of layer panel adjustments, such as overall opacity of the layer, layer modes, etc. You can also use masking to remove some of your changes without having to start over completely.

You can choose to use a transparent layer, or copy a layer from the background.

I prefer copying the layer from the background because I won’t have to toggle between the background and the cloning layer if I want to change my clone source point.

We can now choose the portion of the image we wish to use as our source. Hover your brush over that place, (for Mac) hold option + click you mouse at the same time, (PC) alt+click mouse. Your brush should now show the portion you copied right in the middle.

In (figure 7), you can now see the portion of the umbrella rib that I copied. This will be invaluable for helping to line it up with the actual rib for when I brush it in. A simple click will paint a spot that looks exactly like the portion that I copied. If you click and hold the mouse as you drag your brush across the screen, you will see the clone source also follows your stroke, copying and painting as it goes. Sometimes this is fine, but in this case I prefer to just click and move my brush to a new spot, painting in a series of dots. As you re-click, your clone source will go back to the original spot

Before I actually paint in the rib, I’ll choose a portion of the pink umbrella only, to fill in the black space of the doorframe. I am also picking up some raindrops and painting them in as well. As I click around the black area to fill it with pink, the drops seem to be leaving a recognizable pattern. Once I finish filling in the black, I can go back and cover some of the drops with a smaller clone brush with just pink, or maybe use the spot healing tool to get rid of some them. I’ll leave a few random drops to make it look more natural. How many and where you leave drops is subjective. You will have to decide what looks best. (Figure 8.) shows the result of filling in the pink, and I am now ready to fill in the rib to look like the rest of the umbrella.

I now choose a portion of the rib without drops to clone in over the pink. I carefully line up the brush so that the rib looks continuous without being broken, and with a series of overlapping clicks gradually fill in the rib. The final result is shown in (figure 9).

I hope this guide helps you get started, and that you can use it to help build your Photoshop skills. Once you’ve practiced with the technique described here, you can experiment with other settings and fully utilize this versatile tool.

I should add that writing this took much longer than actually cloning in the image shown here.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

I also realize that I have not covered every aspect of cloning, so any additional tips are welcome as well.

and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin

Last edited by mrchile; October 13th, 2012 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Cloning Primer (revised)

this is super great, John! Thanks for all your hard work!
  #3    Top
Old October 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjonee View Post
this is super great, John! Thanks for all your hard work!
You're welcome Sarah. Not that hard, except for the thinking....

Hope you are able to make it work for you.
George Carlin
  #4    Top
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

excellent job on the tutorial here John !!! I love all the "snapshots" ,, I dont even know how to do that myself,, thanks for sharing this here, I'm sure it will benefit many
  #5    Top
Old October 14th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

John, what I found helpful was mention of the hardness value. I've done cloning where there was not perfect blending and did get dark spots so now I know what to try for the perfect blend. Thanks for posting this.

Jerry
  #6    Top
Old October 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Premiere Member

Thanks Jim and Jerry.

Jim, If you have a PC, and you want to take a screen shot, check out this link,
How to take a screen shot

For MAC, do this.

• Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
• Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
• Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop

Jerry, That is only one thing you can do to help your cloned areas to blend in.
I don't know what other adjustments are available in Elements, but look for mode settings like lighten or darken. They can sometimes help.
Sometimes I find that the area I'm trying to clone from is just a shade off, and when I try to clone in an area, the difference becomes more noticeable. Clear blue skies can be very difficult to clone well.
In those cases, I am sometimes forced to try a different method.
In short, cloning is a great tool, but it may not always work.
George Carlin
  #7    Top
Old October 14th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

John,

I have been using the Clone tool for many years, but you pointed out a couple of things that I just plain overlooked. I guess I found an approach that worked well enough that I was more-or-less satisfied and I stopped experimenting with the tool and learning more of its functions and abilities. Thank you for taking the time to write this tutorial. I think there are lots of us who will benefit.

Richard
  #8    Top
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Premiere Member

Thank you Richard, and you're welcome.
Glad you got something from this.
George Carlin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101