Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 15th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Ice_storm_3
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Green Screen Wizard

Hi

Has anyone tried the Green Screen Wizard? I'm looking for any software or tutorial that can help me remove the green screen from my pictures. Anything that can help take the green out from under transparent materials? I have tried the background erasers but it looks very messy especially under lace and hair!

Thanks for the help.

Rubina

"Let your words be few, and your exposures many."
  #2    Top
Old October 15th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Green Screen Wizard

I've never used that software Rubina, but have you tried using other methods besides the eraser tool?
If you are using Photoshop, try the selection tool.
Layer your green screen subject over your background.
Click select>color range>using the eyedropper tool, click on the green screen.
Then you can delete the selection.
It might take a few tries if the green screen isn't lit evenly. (it should be lit separately from your subject, and avoid casting any shadows on it if possible.)
If the selection took part of any of your subject, add a layer mask and invert it. Paint back over your subject with a White brush.
If you are a little sloppy and bring back part of the green screen, switch to a black brush and paint it back out.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #3    Top
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks Mrchile. I'll try that and see how it goes.

Wish there was an easier way.... The green wizard looks cool...if only it works the way it say.

#4    Top
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I think once you get accustomed to the process, it will be fairly easy and quick to accomplish.
Supposing it works for you.
I only tried it on a shot from a baseball game. It made the field disappear and left the players. It worked pretty well, but I think it should work better with a green screen.
And, you may be able to save some money that you can spend on other, more needed equipment.
George Carlin
  #5    Top
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

The Color Range selection tool within Photoshop is very quick and simple. Using the sliders you can refine your selection. Really the only thing to keep in mind here is that everything creates at least a little color cast and thus your subject will have a little green on it which would get selected. This of course is easily fixed with a little masking work.

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
  #6    Top
Old October 17th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Premiere Member

Thank you Mrchile and Jesse.
I'm trying the masks. just takes a little getting used to.

Appreciate your help.

#7    Top
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Additional note: You can use this same process to retain your shadows casted on the green screen to use within the final image. This in combination to the "Blend If" function under a layer's effects window works great.

Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubina View Post
Thank you Mrchile and Jesse.
I'm trying the masks. just takes a little getting used to.

Appreciate your help.

A couple of things that may help speed up brush work in case you weren't aware of them.

The bracket symbols on your keyboard are a quick way to adjust the size of your brush. (the ones next to P, not 9 and 0). The left makes it smaller and the right makes it bigger. Much easier than having to open the brush menu all the time.

Also, when you have your mask highlighted, you will see that the brush colors are B&W. The one on top is your foreground,(brush), color. If you want to switch the foreground,(brush), color, just click on the little curved arrow next to the color patches (or hit x on your keyboard). If they are not B&W, click on the tiny B&W patches to return them to B&W. Black will erase, white puts back. (pic 1)
You can also use varying shades of gray to make the brush semi transparent.
(probably not necessary for your green screen stuff).
Just click on the foreground square to bring up a color selection palate. (pic 2)
To invert your mask, hit command + I on Mac. CTRL + I for PC.
Make sure your mask is highlighted when you do this, or it will invert the whole picture and make it look like a negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	89912  Click image for larger version

Name:	bc.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	89913  
George Carlin

Last edited by mrchile; October 17th, 2012 at 01:33 PM.
  #9    Top
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:39 PM

With a green background you probably can't really succeed without an expensive plugin. The green will kill the edge areas and the semi-transparent areas like hair and lace. Masks won't fix the problem because the green actually tints parts of the image that you need to keep.You can do a lot with masks. A lot of what a mask leaves behind can be meticulously corrected with a brush. Because of the mask, the brushing tends not to be super difficult. The whole process is very time consuming and you'll likely never be completely satisfied.

It is too late now for your current image, but if you want to do this in the future you might want to think about shooting on gray. Just throw your image on top of its new background and change it to the Overlay blend mode. Anything that is middle gray will completely disappear. Anything brighter will lighten the background and anything darker will darken. Thus the shadows come through. You can duplicate the layer and place in normal blend mode, mask it, and then paint back in any areas that are ghosting. Painting the image back in doesn't usually have to be very precise. Mask your overlay mode layer and paint away areas of your background that have shadows or highlights you don't want to keep.
  #10    Top
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Premiere Member

Personally I disagree about the color cast. Everything casts a color and with a green screen photo you are granted the ability to select the green color cast using the color range selection. This selection of the color cast in combination to a Hue adjustment layer gives you the ability to convert the casted color to match anything that you are placing the subject on.

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Software Corner