Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Horns Up for Longhorns

My wife and I visited friends who are registered breeders of Longhorn and Watusi-Longhorn cattle. Their herd includes some monsters, but most can be hand-fed (from behind a strong fence). All shots with Panasonic Lumix G1:

Hello, little one

Others steer clear when Big 'Un wants to be fed

Big 'Un weighs about 2,000 pounds

This young one is a Watusi-Longhorn cross and is not nearly grown yet

My wife feeding Big 'Un his favorite sausage-sized pellets
  #2    Top
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Horns Up for Longhorns

I've heard that Longhorns generally can have meaner dispositions than their peers (ie other cattle species)...true? Why does the Watsui-Longhorn (#4) seem to have his horns "clipped"/blunted and not Big-Un, he looks like he could do some real damage!
  #3    Top
Old December 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Longhorns are usually docile, but not always. Even the gentle ones can accidentally take your head off (literally) just by swinging their heads.The Watusi cattle have enormous horns that are hollow; the crossbreeds' horns are sort of in-between. In both cases, their utility is that they can survive harsh conditions and thrive on practically any sort of grass. They also live 20 or more years and many are still breeding at that age. Their meat is lean and excellent to eat. The Watusi-Longhorns can grow to be even larger than a big pure Longhorn and on occasion turn mean. My friends had a Watusi-Longhorn that made Big 'Un look small. He had been hand-fed but was growing rambunctious and he was eventually sold to a rancher in South Texas who had a big spread, some of which was devoted to African animals. During the trip to South Texas in a big horse-and-cattle trailer, he got mad and punctured holes in the metal sides and roof. When he was off-loaded at the destination ranch, everybody got out of the way. He went on a rampage that included hoisting a four-seater golf cart on his horns and throwing it 10 feet in the air before smashing it. He went after every animal in sight before finally calming down. But nobody is hand-feeding him!
  #4    Top
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarry View Post
.............. But nobody is hand-feeding him!
Funny story!
  #5    Top
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

those are some SERIOUS horns there !!! wow !!! thats an amazing story too about throwing the golf cart ,, I guess he did NOT enjoy his ride in the trailer !!!!! nicely presented here
  #6    Top
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Premiere Member

Thanks much. It was a fun day.
  #7    Top
Old December 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

As a result in my military time in Texas, I got to see a lot of these big fellas. These pictures come close, I'm not sure any medium can capture the spread of those horns. Frankly, though, since restaurants like to to flaunt angus beef, I always assumed these were throwbacks to the old days of the cattle drives, and those horns were breed because "everything's bigger in Texas."

flickr Photostream
Sponsors
  #8    Top
Old December 28th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Premiere Member

Thanks for the response,all. Happy new year!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things