First of my 2013 Snowies - PhotographyCorner.com Forums

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

#1    Top
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
First of my 2013 Snowies

Hey Folks

That time of year again, and the Snowy Owls have come South again for the winter.

Nice big female hunting in a strange area, she's getting the hang of it slowly.

1/1600th
F 3.2
ISO 200

#2    Top
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Re: First of my 2013 Snowies

WOW! Breathtaking and beautiful
  #3    Top
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

Just breathtaking! Congratulations on such a great flight shot!

"...We were put on the earth to experience life in its totality. And if you're not doing that, you're essentially wasting your time."
- R. Carlos Nakai
  #4    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 03:54 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Zeeland

Just awesome!

Starting Photographer | Nikon D3100 | Canon AE-1 | Like to learn!

You might want to consider uploading through the PC-Galleries!
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: The Performer
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

The sharpness and color of the eye really make this shot. Well done!

Scott
  #6    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Ice_storm_3
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Beautiful. Nice and sharp and completely stands out from the snow!!!

"Let your words be few, and your exposures many."
  #7    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thanks folks

Trick on snow, change from evaluative (or matrix on Nikon) and switch to center point and meter off the bird.
  #8    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

perfect focus on the eye, gorgeous.
  #9    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Heather Meadows 5
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Vince, great capture. Just enough tonal difference between the pure white of the snowy vs the fog(?).....lends a very natural feel to the shot. Re it being a female, I understood that the most prevalent are males (all white) and juveniles (heavy brown barring) and less so females who generally stay home (ie Arctic tundra). Could this be a juvie? We've seen 4 locally this winter since November. Lots of reports that other sightings in the area showed fairly emaciated birds (starving) when they 1st arrived but now apparently recovering well....when left alone!
  #10    Top
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Premiere Member

Hey Russ

No this is a female, you can easily tell the difference with markings and the size difference. Males are much smaller in comparison. We have more females than males so far this year and all look pretty healthy. They are feeding pretty well due to the amount of prey in the fields around here.

This is likely a younger female however, you can see some brown in the markings still.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Animals