Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Recent Photo: Sweet
Anyone ever have an external flash "Pop" and

than stop working. The electronics work but the flash does not flash and when I shake it it reminds me of what a light bulb that is bad does. It is an Olympus FL-50R and so I guess I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone do you know if it is repairable or am I going to have to invest in a new one? GLAD this is not wedding season!! I do have a couple other flashes but this is my big one
  #2    Top
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Premiere Member
Re: Anyone ever have an external flash "Pop" and

I'd contact Olympus and see if they can service it, or call around to the larger stores and see if their repair departments could handle it before buying a new one. Heck, if you're confident enough in your DIY abilities you could do it yourself.
  #3    Top
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20DNewbie View Post
Heck, if you're confident enough in your DIY abilities you could do it yourself.
I'd be extremely careful doing a DIY repair. There are some pretty high voltages via capacitors in flash heads.

This is just an opinion, but it sounds to me like your flash tube has burnt out. Repair would depend on cost vs. simply getting a new flash.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #4    Top
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Premiere Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no16caddis View Post
I'd be extremely careful doing a DIY repair. There are some pretty high voltages via capacitors in flash heads.

This is just an opinion, but it sounds to me like your flash tube has burnt out. Repair would depend on cost vs. simply getting a new flash.
Definitely. You can easily do some decent damage if you touch the wrong bit.

I've been blown across the room(and simultaneously destroyed televisions) more than a few times when I was younger as my curiosity got the better of me dealing with TVs. My father used to be in electronics and did repair work on the side, he never took it well when I decided to try and fix them when he wasn't around.

I've absorbed a lot of juice in my time.