Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Ice Cafe
Suggestting Beginner Contest

Hello! I am fairly new to this and I am enjoying it. However, with all the fantastic photographers here, I feel like my photos won't ever have a chance at winning any sort of award. At least not for a few years.

I think it would be encouraging to us beginners to have a "Beginner Contest" which would be only available to non-professionals who have not previously won an award on this site (including the beginner contest - so it can't be won by the same person twice). I realize that would limit the number of entries, so it may not make sense to have the contest more than a couple times each year. Perhaps one of the sponsors would even want to offer a prize to help encourage beginners to get enthused about their new hobby.
  #2    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Suggestting Beginner Contest

Contests are not about winning, they are about learning how to see the world that is out there in new and different ways
  #3    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Premiere Member

Beginners... learning... what was I thinking
  #4    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

The premiere contests area great way to challenge yourself and learn. Its a great way to get feed back on the theme and your image.
  #5    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Premiere Member

I agree. I was thinking that I would not have become a premiere member if I didn't have a friend here who highly recommended it and wanted to give others a chance... but then I realized, most of the prizes are for "premiere" members only, because they are the ones supporting the site. I think I'm getting the big picture now.
  #6    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Some of the contests do have prizes for non-premiere members, but the premeier members tend to have bigger and better prizes
  #7    Top
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Lifelong Learner
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiman View Post
Hello! I am fairly new to this and I am enjoying it. However, with all the fantastic photographers here, I feel like my photos won't ever have a chance at winning any sort of award. At least not for a few years.

I think it would be encouraging to us beginners to have a "Beginner Contest" which would be only available to non-professionals who have not previously won an award on this site (including the beginner contest - so it can't be won by the same person twice). I realize that would limit the number of entries, so it may not make sense to have the contest more than a couple times each year. Perhaps one of the sponsors would even want to offer a prize to help encourage beginners to get enthused about their new hobby.
There are actually very few members that have won the contests on this site. There are currently 27000+ members of this site. Granted not all of them are always active, but that would mean that removing the members that have previously won would only take a very small percentage of members out of the contest.

So, as Clarke states above, it is best to think of a contest as a means of challenging yourself to take a photo with a theme in mind. That's the beauty of the CCC (Contest Corner Challenge) that happens about every 6 weeks or so. And there are also the Premiere Projects which Clarke mentioned.

The advantage to being a Premiere Member and participating in the Projects is that you get a chance to shoot on a theme. But more importantly, you can submit the photo to the theme thread, get feedback, and then go shoot it again. You can also submit multiple photos to try out different ideas. At the end of the Project period, you decide which one you want to enter into the voting phase.

Again, no guarantee of winning, but you certainly get a chance to fine tune your skills. And remember too - contests are not necessarily won by the best photographer. It's usually a case of voting... and people vote according to which photo appeals to them for that particular theme. The winning photo might be shot by a seasoned pro. But it could just as easily be shot by a beginner that captured something that appealed to the majority of people that voted.

So, don't photograph to win contests. Photograph instead to better your skills and refine your photographic vision. Use themes and challenges to help you do that.

And have fun in the photographic journey

How to create albums, upload photos, and link to them in a post ||| Feedback Corner Guidelines ||| Photography Critiquing Guidelines||| How do I become a Premiere Member?
Mario ||| Nikon with some 'plug-ins' ||| Comments always welcome! ||| Facebook: mario-cerroni-photography ||| My smugmug site: PhotoDiction /// My photoblog: photodiction.blogspot.com
  #8    Top
Old March 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I will agree with Mario. I don't always participate in the Contest Corner Challenge and Premiere Projects, but the themes do get me thinking on what I could photograph and enter. And sometimes that is enough to get me to enter. For me, it is about the learning and the process so a lot of times that's better than winning a contest if I come out a better photographer.
  #9    Top
Old March 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: All Alone
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

My thoughts are we all started out as a beginner at some point. If you want to talk about competitions, the better photographers here and everywhere take it as a mission to get better and to do that, you have to compete with the best. Winning a beginner competition may only entrench bad habits. Take a look at winning images and really dissect it to discover why it's a winner, and you're well on your way to getting better. But like Mario (ol' wise one) says, have fun and enjoy the ride!
You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

And now I know the real Mike Dorn too!
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:14 AM
Premiere Member

It's all good. I originally posted this message because I was looking for some encouragement, and thought other beginners might be feeling the same way. I was commenting on people's pictures and posting photos, but wasn't getting feedback as quickly as I hoped for. I waited a long time to purchase my camera, and I just wasn't being as patient with the learning process.

I feel like I am starting to get the hang of things now, so, it's all good. I get it. Carry on.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions