Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Flower Seed Head
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Pet Peeves

I was thinking about a pet peeve of mine earlier, and I thought I'd ask what other peoples' pet peeves are. I thought it could be kind of fun to vent about the things that can just drive some people crazy, whether photography related or not.

So what drives you nuts?

One of mine is when I ask a straight-forward question and someone has to chime in with completely irrelevant information (and I have to pretend like I care).

"If you really want to hurt your parents, go into the arts."
-Kurt Vonnegut

My blog
My Facebook page
Connect with me on Twitter @nicoleannstpaul
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Pet Peeves

Facebook...no...Twitter...no...celebrities on Twitter. Do I have to choose?

flickr Photostream
  #3    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Mathey College

I have 2:
People driving and on their cell phones, especially when I'm on the bike. I will yell at them, it infuriates me so much.
Old people at checkouts in the supermarket who will not bag their stuff as it goes down the conveyor. I asked my mother in law why and she said "that's what they pay the cashiers to do." Yea, but you're holding the rest of us up.
Oh, just thought of a third. LOL
Walking through a store and finding merchandise tossed all over. I worked retail and that really pisses me off that people can't put things back, specially things like rugs.
  #4    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

People who feel the need to walk 3 wide up or down a flight of stairs and won't move over as you approach from the opposite way.......

People who do not re-rack their weights at the gym...........

And those in cars who won't give me a couple of feet of space while passing me while I'm on my road bike.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #5    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: 2013_09_26_4135_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

[quote=Lou R;766883]Old people at checkouts in the supermarket who will not bag their stuff as it goes down the conveyor. I asked my mother in law why and she said "that's what they pay the cashiers to do." Yea, but you're holding the rest of us up.quote]

I can't complain about that. Not because I am one of those old people, but because I never have been in a situation to have to bag my things.
The Cashier scans an item and immediately drops it in a bag. I can't even get to it. One store that doesn't have that set up, has a person there to bag it all for you. And carries it out. Then you tip him.
High school kids usually do the bagging, but some disabled people also have been employed full time.
What does rankle me is thoughtless people who push their shopping carts up to the cashier, collect their bags and leave. Now nobody can get to the cashier, without first pushing the idiot's cart out of the way.
Then too I hate people pulling up to the gas pumps and even though there are two pumps on each side, they park in such a way that both pumps are blocked.
But what drives me insane is, people having a small child sitting in the shopping cart howling at the top of his or her lungs. And the mother calmly, mindlessly continues shopping as if the kid wasn't there. Everybody else knows the kid is there. I have confronted some of these so called mothers, by explaining that picking up the child would stop all that. I had four little ones spread out over many years go with me and the wife to the store and none ever cried.
I could go on, about people who not only litter wherever they go, but have no pride in themselves, or respect for their neighbors and live in such squalor as pigs would.
  #6    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Okay, I'll be serious on this one: I hate I hate I hate I HATE it when someone flicks their cigarette butt out onto the road. If you want to smoke, smoke. But don't make your bad habit my problem.

flickr Photostream
  #7    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Mathey College

[quote=suci;766890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou R View Post
Old people at checkouts in the supermarket who will not bag their stuff as it goes down the conveyor. I asked my mother in law why and she said "that's what they pay the cashiers to do." Yea, but you're holding the rest of us up.quote]

I can't complain about that. Not because I am one of those old people, but because I never have been in a situation to have to bag my things.
The Cashier scans an item and immediately drops it in a bag. I can't even get to it. One store that doesn't have that set up, has a person there to bag it all for you. And carries it out. Then you tip him.
High school kids usually do the bagging, but some disabled people also have been employed full time.
What does rankle me is thoughtless people who push their shopping carts up to the cashier, collect their bags and leave. Now nobody can get to the cashier, without first pushing the idiot's cart out of the way.
Then too I hate people pulling up to the gas pumps and even though there are two pumps on each side, they park in such a way that both pumps are blocked.
But what drives me insane is, people having a small child sitting in the shopping cart howling at the top of his or her lungs. And the mother calmly, mindlessly continues shopping as if the kid wasn't there. Everybody else knows the kid is there. I have confronted some of these so called mothers, by explaining that picking up the child would stop all that. I had four little ones spread out over many years go with me and the wife to the store and none ever cried.
I could go on, about people who not only litter wherever they go, but have no pride in themselves, or respect for their neighbors and live in such squalor as pigs would.
You made me think of a 4th! LOL
Parents who don't have any kind of grasp on their kids, so they are either wreaking havoc or getting lost. I used wrist "leashes" on my kids and got all kinds of rude remarks, but they behaved, never got lost and were never screamers. That drives me nuts!
  #8    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Kids screaming for no reason....it also happens to drive one of my therapy dogs nuts. There is an in home day care near us and the kids scream almost constantly. My girl Chloe wants nothing more than to hide under my desk.

Have a few more which I will mention later
  #9    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

this

People who take more than 1 parking space

People who drive 50mph in the fast lane

People who leave their turn signal on

and many others
  #10    Top
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Unquestionably my #1 pet peeve is about unsolicited phone calls. I'm on a national do not call registry and thus should NOT receive any unsolicited calls. I have submitted claims against a few that were traceable...but nothing has ever happened. The FTC (or is it FCC??) is a paper tiger. Further, AUTOMATED phone calls are illegal, yet they continue to come in batches. Note that the only exceptions are for charities and (how convenient!) for the very politicians who passed the rule. Politicians/causes that call, especially automated AND with pre recorded messages do NOT get my vote.

My 2nd peeve is about pets....or more correctly irresponsible pet owners. If you own one, be responsible....ALL of the time, no exceptions. When in a leash and scoop area (most public places), leash and scoop.....always, not just when its convenient or someone's looking. Pet on a leash means have control of the pet, NOT running down the trail dragging 6 ft of leash! Your pet may be special to you understandably, but understand it is NOT special to me....I'm just trying to accomodate you and it's wearing thin!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner