Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:08 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
printing images... again

So, I am realizing that I am, firstly, not printing enough of my work, but, secondly, am also VERY slow in understanding how stuff works.
The aspect ratio of my Canon 7D is 2:3. Correct?

Am I also correct in saying that I should therefore be able to print my photos at sizes like 4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 12x18, 16x24, 20x30, 24x36..., without any loss/need of cropping?!

So, if that is correct, then why do I constantly have to crop my photos when I order prints at those sizes? I get that I have to crop if I want a different size, but why does it still happen when I use sizes that are apparently the 'right' size for the aspect ratio of 2:3?

Example - Say, I have a photo that I want to print straight out of camera, at a size of 12x18. Shouldn't I be able to print it without the need of any cropping? That never happens, though. I always end up having to crop.

I am so confused... Help!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #2    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Re: printing images... again

Who are you using to print? Your dslr does have an aspect ratio option within the menu, but my understanding is that this is simply changes how the image is viewed on the LCD or supported software so that a person can compose their shot correctly. This understanding could always be wrong so I'd still check to make sure it's set to 3:2. Beyond that I'd reach out to the printers to inquire.

jessegrossphoto.wordpress.com
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: printing images... again

"Example - Say, I have a photo that I want to print straight out of camera, at a size of 12x18. Shouldn't I be able to print it without the need of any cropping? That never happens, though. I always end up having to crop."

Sabine,

Yes, you should be able to make any 3:2 ratio print without having to crop. However, this may not be the case if you are using commercial printing services. Since the commercial firms have to deal with digital files that come from any camera (with various image ratios), and since they don't know what people may have done to those images before uploading them to be printed, many (most? all?) commercial printing services will apply some cropping as part of their standard process. That being said, a good service that is used to dealing with professional photographers should offer a "no crop, full frame" option for their clients who want or need it. You may have to search a bit to find such options.

If you are printing on your own printer, then you should definitely be able to print a 3:2 ratio print without cropping if you want to. If you are printing on your own printer and always having to crop to print a 3:2 ratio image, then we need to know a lot more about your workflow to determine why you may be having this issue.

Good luck,
Richard