Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
camera strap ???

Anyone use a shoulder strap?
I have some neck problems and my Dr. told me not to hang my #13 camera around it anymore :/ Hopefully my local shop has options, but I would love to hear your opinions/favorites first
Thanks!
  #2    Top
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: camera strap ???

Jenn, I don't have the answer but maybe I can help clarify the options:
  1. wrist straps, ie NO shoulder strap but rather gripped by the hand with the wrist strap for security(?). I've tried one and they have merit...but it's awkward in conjunction with a neck strap and I'm not confident enough in the security of not using a neckstrap. Mine is a Herringbone made in Korea after reading lots of positive comments. I have additional info and photos of it on my camera if interested.
  2. sling straps, ie Black Rapid, Luma Cinch, etc. They clearly have their fans. Note that Luma has a new version in the past month or so. I've considered one but my use doesn't really play to its strengths, ie usually on/off a tripod repeatedly vs handheld.
  3. holsters, ie Cotton Carrier, Spider, etc. I've been thoroughly intrigued by the Cotton (Andy Cotton, inventor) Carrier versions. Google to find ample videos of the options. Originally it was a chest "cammed" holder. It does require a vest like apparatus to carry it but for hands free transportation, quick access, and especially carrying larger lenses/bodies its very functional. He has come out with other accessories and versions of it for those reluctant to wear the more utilitarian chest plate/vest. My issue here has been the use of the tripod socket for the key camlock feature unique to the Cotton Carrier. While there are workarounds for using it both on the CC and on a tripod, I'm not convinced its optimal for a guy principally using a tripod....but everytime I come back from a long birding hike using a long lens I rethink that.
  4. neck/shoulder straps. I don't know what you're using now but there are 3rd party neckstraps that are certainly better than the OEM ones....and aren't nearly as garrish, ie advertisement banners. I have a Tamrac one (came with original purchase) that I've tired of. My next one I'm considering is either the Crumpler Industry Disgrace (no quick release buckles) or it's sibling Convenience Disgrace (with buckles, wider neck strap). My son uses the former and loves it. I HATE the bounciness of neoprene/elasticized straps....and they're hot. Wider isn't always better, again especially for me whose constantly taking it on/off as I mount/unmount it from a tripod.
  #3    Top
Old June 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks for the great info Russ!!!
I have one of those neoprene ones now (kids got it for me) and it is hot & irritating in this heat!
I like the belt holder on the Carry-lite one, looks like it would take all the weight off my neck/shoulder! I wonder if it would be a pain getting in/out quickly?
The Black Rapid has one for women that looks comfortable and my local shop has one, going to have to go try it out!

I was going to recommend a camera vest stabilizer system to you, my friends use them for the video company... I just looked on B&H to see what they were called and about choked when I seen the price O_o
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ilizer_AB.html
  #4    Top
Old June 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I've got the Black Rapid RS-7 and I love the thing! I use it mainly for airshows when I have a camera at the ready for most of the day. The shoulder strap is very comfortable. It is very well built and well designed. I think they even have some attachments you can add on for phones, memory cards, etc.

It is a great feeling to be able to place your camera down and get a little relief now and then without worrying that your camera may end up on the ground.

If you do use a tripod with a tele-zoom you can always attach the strap to the camera body and use the tripod ring on the lens to mount on the tripod. Otherwise as Russ noted you'd have to remove clip.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #5    Top
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I use a cotton carrier for both event shooting and for hiking.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Best thing since sliced bread (IMO)
  #6    Top
Old June 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
I use a cotton carrier for both event shooting and for hiking.

http://www.cottoncarrier.com/

Best thing since sliced bread (IMO)
I really like the Cotton Carrier as well... the 2-camera vest is fantastic.
  #7    Top
Old June 6th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Premiere Member

Thanks for the opinions!! I really like the Cary-lite cotton carrier, hopefully I can find one locally soon!
  #8    Top
Old June 8th, 2013, 04:29 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara Falls sunset
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Another, probably lot more expensive option is (but maybe good if you need a new camera bag anyway) the Kata Bumblebee. I got the Bumblebee 222 UL for Christmas, it's a full backpack that can carry a lot of equipment. It has a full harness style strap system that is very comfortable and distributes the weight very well. On top of that the backpack comes with its own modular camera strap system that can either be used as a stand alone camera strap (much more comfortable than the stock Pentax I had), but also attaches to the backpack's harness directly. This is an extremely good option for longer walks/hikes, because it puts the camera's weight directly onto the backpack's harness, not on your neck.

My Smugmug
  #9    Top
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Premiere Member

Thanks for all the tips!
I went to my local shop and got the Black Rapid women's sling strap, excited to try it out!
http://www.blackrapid.com/products/womens
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner