Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 20th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Optical Flash Slave Trigger

Wasn't sure if this belongs here or under lighting since it's only a small piece, but I figured posting it here wouldn't hurt.

Anyway, I have a [Pro]Master Optical Flash Slave Trigger that has worked flawlessly for months. A few nights ago I went to do a photo shoot with the wifeling (she was trying on a bridesmaid's dress for our friend's wedding and wanted to make sure color/style were okay), and the slave flash wouldn't fire.

I double checked the batteries, and did the auto-test to make sure the flash itself was firing and had no issues. I double checked the settings (made sure it was on manual and not TTL), and everything checked out. But even firing straight into the slave (making sure that it wasn't just an angle of fire problem), it wouldn't go off. Today I had time to research it and to check it more thoroughly...and it's working fine all of a sudden.

I was wondering if anyone else ever had a similar problem, has any theories, or knows what might have caused it to not work like that for just a temporary amount of time.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #2    Top
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Optical Flash Slave Trigger

As you've related it, there were NO changes you made in settings etc between the time it didn't function yesterday and when it did today....other than perhaps reinserting the slave onto the flash. Slave units (don't know which brand or type) are notorious for being predicated on price point items, ie designed to best meet the needs at a price that matches what others in sufficient quantity will purchase it for....not always the same as the best available technology. Specifically electrical connections between the slave and the flash. If they've become oxidized and/or don't otherwise sufficiently transmit the firing signal, then you can get what you experienced. As much as the firing again sounds like your good fortune, do you have the confidence that the "problem has been fixed"? I would make sure that contact points between gear, ie slave to flash, flash to camera is clean....relatively easy on male contacts, more difficult on female if using a probe style. I'd also review if there were ANY other adjustments (settings, physical contacting, positioning you made in the interim between failings and firings!
  #3    Top
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I had thought about the possibility of something being wrong with the connections and had wiped them off when I was testing during the failing. I hadn't even separated the trigger from the flash when I tested it earlier and it started working again.

This probably seems crazy but the tripod usually gets stored next to my bookshelf which is near a window. Is it possible that being in direct sunlight for too long made it insensitive for awhile until it got "reset?"

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #4    Top
Old June 27th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Optical triggers work on a sudden change of light that completes a circuit to trigger the slave that it's hooked onto. They are notorious for being fickle - still, I would suppose that your thesis could be true - that maybe being in the sun for a long time rendered the photocell incapable of generating the power needed to close the circuit and trigger the slave - but I highly doubt it.

They are - simply - fickle. Cactus triggers are way more reliable - and just as cheap (almost).

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old June 30th, 2013, 09:58 PM

Hm...I've never actually heard of a cactus trigger. I'll have to check that out when I get the chance.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #6    Top
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Premiere Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I've actually just switched from my name brand flashes and triggers to Yongnuo (yup - those 'horrible' chinese knock offs). I'm preparing a write up for my blog - should be done this weekend and I'll post the writeup here.

Gear List

'Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper the photographer begins with the finished product. ' ..... Edward Steichen
  #7    Top
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:02 PM

I made the switch from film to digital recently and have been trying to find a slave that will let me use my Metz 45CT-1 with my Canon T4i. To date I have tried 3 different triggers including a couple of Wein Peanut slaves and none of them have worked. I know my trigger voltage is 163 volts.

I purchased a Yongnuo 565EX shortly after getting my new camera this past July and have been very happy with it but love the Metz and am determined to find a trigger that will help me to incorporate it into my lighting scheme.
  #8    Top
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:50 AM

Found a viable solution using yongnuo's RF603 triggers that I purchased a couple of months ago. I forgot that the Photogadget people said that the 603 could handle the 163 volt trigger voltage of the 45 CT-1. Anyway, I replaced the pc connector on the Metz with 1/8 female connector and the connector on the Yongnuo with a 1/8 male connector and was able to use my 565 EX speedlite in conjunction with my old potato masher. I have also modified the Metz to be able to manually adjust its power to 1/64.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous