Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 10th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Suggested Camera Backpacks

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a backpack for my "walk around" camera kit.

I currently own a LowePro Mini Treker AW - however I find it incredibly uncomfortable (even when adjusted) so I use it for storage only. Due to the lowepro bag being uncomfortable, I use a regular backpack (Transition 40L). I can fit all my gear in the 40L backpack no problem but most things are sitting loose so I'm always worried I'll break something - it's also not the most user friendly system having everything piled on top of each other (in the various compartments).

My current walk around kit is a 40D w/ BG E2 attached. EF-S 17-55 f2.8 (usually attached), EF 70-200 f4 IS, 4 sets of batteries, remote shutter release, lee filter system (packaged in a Lowepro S&F Filter Pouch 100 ), a few step up rings, a beanbag, and my tripod - vanguard alta 263AT legs w/ markins q3 emille head. It steps in at around 20lbs and I find it light enough to wear all day walking with a few breaks (20+km).

Later this year I'll likely be picking up a 6D along with a 17-40 f4 which I'll also have in my kit.

Any suggestions for a pack?

Options in town are very limited so I'll likely have to purchase online and return until I find one that works.

To give an idea with sizing information I'm 5'8", approx 155lbs, approx 18" from hips to shoulders.
  #2    Top
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Suggested Camera Backpacks

Its not exactly a camera pack but I assume you also have a rig (like a cotton carrier for your camera and lens).

I have a camelback MULE pack which in addition to carrying a 3L bladder of water for the long hikes, there is also room to pack addition items like your lee filters, spare batteries, flash, bean bag and step up rings

The tripod is the only difficult item as its a hiking waterpack and not specifically designed to carry a tripod. You may be able to use it as a walking stick depending on the model.

The cotton carrier rig also has a holster attachment for an additional body and lens.

The MULE pack has 4 compartments in addition to the water storage. The normal casing and wraps your filters and or attachments you provide enough protection in any one of the compartments. (You may even find room to pack a lunch).

I have been using this pack on my last couple of hikes. While I am not bringing along bean bags or tripods, I do bring a spare battery, filters, lens brushes and filter paper, lens pen, macro tubes and up until this week my 180mm f2.8 prime (I now have a 28-300 zoom)
  #3    Top
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:17 AM

My apologies for the tardy reply - have been away from the forum for awhile.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought of a camelback pack and will certainly check it out.

My tripod definitely isn't suitable for a walking stick but I've been experimenting with various strapping options until I get something I like. I might just end up using the tripod's carrying case if I can't find anything else that I like (not ideal but willing to put up with it).

Incidentally enough, I ended up ordering my 6D yesterday along with canon's 24-105 f4 and 17-40 f4 lenses. I'll likely end up keeping my 70-200 f4 IS on the 40D.

I'll update this thread once I end up finding a good solution.
  #4    Top
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:35 AM

HI there.. i have one for you..Billingham 550 is really a great camera bag and i guess it would be absolutely perfect for you.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous