Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:23 PM
Starter kit for photomicrography?

Hi all

I'm toying with the idea of trying out photomicrography (aka taking pictures of stuff through a microscope). I'm not a biologist or anything, I just saw a few photos on flickr and thought it looked interesting.

A few google searches have revealed that it is a fairly niche interest, though; there is not a lot of practical information forthcoming for newbies - hence my post here....

I'd like to dip my toe in the water with this, and I am by no means a millionaire. How might I go about starting? Based on what I have gathered so far...

The most low-tech entry-level way of starting is to simply get a no-frills 'toy' monocular microscope, then hold up a PAC or smart-phone to the eye-piece (I think that's called an 'objective') and snap away. This might be a great low-cost way to start (thus paving the way for me to invest in slightly more serious ways of doing it later on), or it might simply result in rubbish photos thus crushing any interest I might otherwise have had in it..Any ideas?

I am also aware that one can purchase adapters to fit SLR cameras (mine is Canon EOS) to monocular or trinocular microscopes. Information about compatibility is very hard to come by, though. Is this simply a case of contacting microscope manufacturers individually, or am I missing something obvious? Are all microscopes the same/size spec?

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap microscope and adapter for a Canon EOS?

Many thanks in advance
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Computers, Peripherals & Miscellaneous