Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Project 3 "Emulation"

We all have photographers that inspire us. For many Ansel Addams comes to mind on the landscape side, Walker Evans, Cartier-Bressen, Dorthea Lange...the list is endless and all based on your experience.

The challenge is to emulate but not copy the subject as shot by a well-known photographer.

For me I have always been inspired by Robert Capa's Dday photo of the machine gunner. the blur, over exposed but wonderful frame capturing the reality of the fear in those brave souls who stormed the beach on that day. It also showed me you do not need to have the perfect technicals to have a trememndously shot.

While I am not quite as brave as mister Capa in storming beaches under machine fire...in fact I stay as far away from that kind of thing as I can, I applied some of the same techniques on this shot of a pass in flyball with 2 extremely fast dogs (it took 5 tries to get this shot) I wanted to convey the energy and speed of these two dogs. Panning of course would be impossible
ISO 12800 f/5.6 85mm 1/400s

Converted using red high contrast filter and further adjustments in LR.

Who inspired you and what will you create to emulate what you see in their work.

Project will be open through the month of August so we have lots of time to be inspired.

Last edited by agiledogs; July 27th, 2014 at 12:37 AM.
  #2    Top
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Project 3 "Emulation"

I know we're not allowed to post other people's work generally speaking, but I think this would be an interesting project if we post "the original" and then our "emulation." (And it should go without saying that we would give proper credit to the original.)

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #3    Top
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

If we get permission to share the link to the photos I'll edit this later and add it. Right now though, if you Google, "Lester Kuhn Rodeo Glen Campbell" it's the first shot under the "Images" tab. Since we're talking about emulating our favorite photographers, I'll mention that it was that photo of my uncle's that I had in mind when I set out to get a similar photo at the Renaissance Festival. I came closest with this one:

Part of what I love about my uncle's that isn't in mine is the great big clod of dirt being kicked up and frozen with a fast shutter speed. In both of ours though there's the intensity and obvious love for what they do.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography

Last edited by IKuhn; July 29th, 2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: html code was broken, fixed photo
  #4    Top
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:13 PM

Let's try this again...(I apologize folks, but I tried the HTML code...edited it to take the direct link...and couldn't re-edit it..but here's the photo I tried to post earlier. Had to wait until I got home from work to figure out what was wrong and fix it.)

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #5    Top
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKuhn View Post
I know we're not allowed to post other people's work generally speaking, but I think this would be an interesting project if we post "the original" and then our "emulation." (And it should go without saying that we would give proper credit to the original.)

I don't think posting a link to the original with credit is out of order for this especially if the inspirational photo is not well known
  #6    Top
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
I don't think posting a link to the original with credit is out of order for this especially if the inspirational photo is not well known
Agreed. Here's the link to my uncle's original photo. http://www.snd.org/wp-content/upload...nday-5web5.jpg

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101