Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 12th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Best camera for me as a beginner

Hello everyone ,I am new here on this forum.I have some old point and shoot camera that can take some low-not bad quality photos but even with that I am trying to become a better photographer.However I want to start with some DSLR.I collected some money and I found one camera and that is the NIKON D3100.According to some people it is the best intro(rookie)-level camera.I am beginner in that DSLR world and I wanted to ask you what do you think about this DSLR as a camera for beginner.Did you have some experience with this DSLR.Please tell me to know.I would really appreciate that.Please give me some advices about lenses(I wanted to take those kit lenses as my first lenses) and about lights tripods and so on.I am interested in making photos only not for making videos for youtube or whatever.Please reply.

P.S. If I made some mistakes during the text please forgive me that I am from Bosnia.[/b]
  #2    Top
Old August 12th, 2014, 06:20 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Best camera for me as a beginner

The d3100 is an excellent choice for a first dslr as would any of the canon rebel series. I think the t3i is the latest. Both are equal in terms of quality and available accessories (lenses flashes etc...) Image quality is also equal or at least not totally noticeable.

The difference though is in the interface and menu screens between the two brands as well as all the other manufacturers like pentax, olympus and sony. Its about feel and how intuitive the controls are for you.

I suggest finding a local retailer that has both canon and nikon entry level cameras and hold both. take sample shots with both, look at the menu screens for both and determine which one feels easier for you to use. Then you will know which one to buy.

For me, Nikon seemed more intuitive and and easier to use...for others its Canon. Please note though as you grow in dslr photography and acquire gear it makes it more difficult to change families as it does mean buying all new gear. Finding the right fit is very important so take your time and get the gear you feel the most comfortable with.
  #3    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 04:27 AM

I am not sure that I will be looking for Canon because I think they are better for videos than Nikon(I don`t need that video quality) and my personal opinion is that the Nikon is much better at taking photos I will look Nikon D3100 because it has great user interface(that amazing guide mode) and I can use it after I learn all the basics and after I upgrade my gear for something better.I can use it for family photos...... By the way thanks for reply I would like to hear more people`s opinions.
  #4    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 06:46 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface View Post
I am not sure that I will be looking for Canon because I think they are better for videos than Nikon(I don`t need that video quality) and my personal opinion is that the Nikon is much better at taking photos I will look Nikon D3100 because it has great user interface(that amazing guide mode) and I can use it after I learn all the basics and after I upgrade my gear for something better.I can use it for family photos...... By the way thanks for reply I would like to hear more people`s opinions.
I think you are misinformed about Canon cameras the entry level Canon cameras are EVERY bit as capable of taking pictures as the Nikon,, either way you cant go wrong, for me in my choosing I chose Canon due to the larger array of available lens' as well as prices of these lens', I have been shooting Canon for years and have been VERY happy with them,, again either way you go in the entry level you will be happy but dont discount the Canon on what you stated previously
  #5    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 07:09 AM

I am not discounting on canon.I think they have3 some awesome cameras that are in higher price level but I think that I can learn better from Nikon entry level camera.
  #6    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up, have you held a Canon and the Nikon and played with either of them? That can be a deciding factor as well, if you are convinced that Nikon is the better choice for you then run with it again either company will provide you with a tool that will serve you well
  #7    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaharris1001 View Post
Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up, have you held a Canon and the Nikon and played with either of them? That can be a deciding factor as well, if you are convinced that Nikon is the better choice for you then run with it again either company will provide you with a tool that will serve you well
I decided to by this Nikon D3100 but I wanted to hear if someone else had experience with this camera and was that experience good.Ifnot I have some alternatives,but for know this is my first choice
  #8    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
The d3100 is an excellent choice for a first dslr as would any of the canon rebel series. I think the t3i is the latest. Both are equal in terms of quality and available accessories (lenses flashes etc...) Image quality is also equal or at least not totally noticeable.

The difference though is in the interface and menu screens between the two brands as well as all the other manufacturers like pentax, olympus and sony. Its about feel and how intuitive the controls are for you.

I suggest finding a local retailer that has both canon and nikon entry level cameras and hold both. take sample shots with both, look at the menu screens for both and determine which one feels easier for you to use. Then you will know which one to buy.

For me, Nikon seemed more intuitive and and easier to use...for others its Canon. Please note though as you grow in dslr photography and acquire gear it makes it more difficult to change families as it does mean buying all new gear. Finding the right fit is very important so take your time and get the gear you feel the most comfortable with.
I use Nikon myself, but what Agile says is good advice. Hold both, test both. if you're sure you want to go with Nikon, great. Awesome. I ended up using Nikon because an ex gave me a P&S Coolpix for Christmas one year when I mentioned I wanted to make the switch between film to digital. When it came time to get my DSLR, I had a week to get it to do an event, and figured I was already familiar with Nikon's menu system.

As far as intuitive-ness goes, I know on my Nikon at least some of the buttons are programmable. I've set mine to back button focus which works better for me. For those that are wondering I shoot with a D5000.

If you're looking to make the switch to DSLR, I'd say whichever one you can afford and are comfortable with is your best beginner DSLR. I've had "pros" tell me that my camera isn't a professional camera because of x, y, or z. My feeling is that the camera I use has far more bells and whistles than what my grandfather and my uncle used when they were both active professionals. I know how to use my camera, I know about lighting, I know what my camera can and can't do.

Long story short (too late, I know) find a camera that YOU like, and that YOU can are comfortable paying for...read the manual. After a year...re-read the manual to see what settings you've forgotten about. Learn your camera inside and out.

As far as a tripod goes, it depends on what camera you end up getting and what you're using it for. I do some hiking and landscapes so mine is fairly stout and has the retractable spikes on the end. It's sturdy enough to put in the dirt, etc. etc. As you only mentioned doing family photos, You could go with something lighter probably. Just make sure it's not going to get knocked over easily.

One system I've heard used is you divide the cost of your camera by ten (I think...it's been a long time since I've heard the theory). That's the price range you should be looking for on your tripod. (ie. if you spend $700 on your camera, your tripod in theory should cost about $70. something in that price range should be stout enough to handle it.) There are many variations in tripods though too. you could go lighter, but with stronger materials which will be more expensive. Do you want a ball head, or not, etc. I would say that if you're only planning on doing family photos, something simple and stationary should do the trick. If you plan on shooting events, you may want to upgrade to a ball or smooth swivel head.

I hope we've managed to answer all your questions, but we're definitely here to help so if you have more fire away.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #9    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 09:21 AM

I watched reviews but I never held Nikon D3100 in my hands.When I come to the shop I will compare the Nikon D3100 with Canon 1100D because they are both entry level cameras and I will decide which one to take.Thank you for advices.
  #10    Top
Old August 13th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarface View Post
I watched reviews but I never held Nikon D3100 in my hands.When I come to the shop I will compare the Nikon D3100 with Canon 1100D because they are both entry level cameras and I will decide which one to take.Thank you for advices.

Just a heads up there are newer versions of both the canon and nikon starter camera. The Nikon is the d3300 and the canon is the T5i. Both are roughly the same price and optically I believe are nearly equal in terms of quality. Do not let the megapixels fool you you will not be able to see a difference between 18 and 24 MP. Both are excellent starter cameras and have many great lenses available.

D3300
24.2 Mp DX-Format CMOS Sensor
EXPEED 4 Image Processor
No Optical Low-Pass Filter
3.0" 921k-Dot LCD Monitor
Full HD 1080p Video Recording
11-Point Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor
Expandable ISO 25600 and 5 fps Shooting
Easy Panorama Mode and Guide Mode
Compatible with WU-1a Wireless Adapter

Canon T5i
STM Lens Support for Quiet AF in Movies
18.0MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
DIGIC 5 Image Processor
3.0" Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
ISO 100-12800, Expandable to 25600
Full HD 1080 Video with Continuous AF
5.0 fps Continuous Shooting
9-Point All Cross-Type AF System
Multi Shot Noise Reduction
Compatible with Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)