Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 19th, 2014, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Shooting in 50mm prime

Introduction

Together with the 35mm lens a 50mm fixed focus lens is considered to be standard prime. The photography world is polarized between these two primes with each group having its distinct favorite. In this article we shall look at the 50mm prime lens and walk through some of its features and disadvantages.

Benefits

A prime lens is essentially a lens with a single focal length. Unlike zoom lenses, there’s simply isn’t a way to turn a ring and zoom forward. What you get, however, as a compensation for its inability to zoom, is a blindingly fast aperture. All those high speed photography freaks can hope to use shutter speeds of 1/4000th of a second and higher when pairing their full-frame camera with this lens. Additionally, the 50mm is the closest when it comes to the angle of view that the human eye has. Thus the name ‘standard prime’.

Practical uses on a full-frame DSLR

50mm lenses are usually designed and optimized for the larger sensor of full-frame DSLRs. These cameras have a sensor size that is the same as a 35mm film slide. In other words, the size of a full-frame digital sensor is 36mm x 24mm. When a 50mm lens is mounted on a full-frame camera it becomes an extension of the human eye, capturing everything from the perspective of how the photographer saw it. This lens is thus a favorite with street photographers.

It is also very popular among photographers who prefer the reverse lens macro technique for shooting creepy crawlies. This is because being a lens with no zoom ring it has less optical elements to deal with when reversing. Additionally, 50mm lenses such as the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and the f/1.4 comes with an aperture ring on the lens barrel. When using the reverse lens technique, it is essential that you are able to change the aperture value manually as the lens loses the coupling contacts with the body and it is impossible to change it from within the camera.

Disadvantages of using a 50mm prime on a full-frame DSLR

Regardless of its popularity as a street photographer’s lens, it is a very difficult lens to shoot portraits with, on a full-frame DSLR. Filling the frame is essential for portraitures, i.e.; unless you are experimenting with negative space in your compositions. That being said, if you try to fill the frame with a 50mm lens, you will need to walk up to the subject (there’s no zoom ring). As you do that, the facial features are skewed and distorted.

Practical uses on an APS-C DSLR

An APS-C sensor, also known as a cropped sensor, has a size of 24mm x 16mm (Nikon cameras). The implication of this is that the image circle that a 50mm lens creates is not utilized in its entirety. Only the middle portion is used and the rest of the image is discarded. The image, resultantly, appears as if it has been shot with a slightly longer lens. This phenomenon is also known as crop-factor. Nikon APS-C lenses has a crop factor of 1.5x and Canon 1.6x (Canon APS-C sensors are usually 22.3 x 14.9mm). A 50mm lens thus becomes a 75mm lens on a Nikon APS-C DSLR and an 80mm on a Canon APS-C DSLR. This is why the 50mm is not that popular for shooting street photography. Though the lens is very popular as a medium tele for shooting portraits on APS-C DSLRs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image04.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	92814  Click image for larger version

Name:	image01.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	92815  Click image for larger version

Name:	image02.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	92816  Click image for larger version

Name:	image00.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	92817  Click image for larger version

Name:	image03.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	92818  

#2    Top
Old September 19th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Shooting in 50mm prime

I'm seeing only little black X's where there should be images????
  #3    Top
Old September 19th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm seeing only little black X's where there should be images????
I'm not even seeing that much...I didn't know there were images on this post.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #4    Top
Old September 19th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Let me check double, I can see the images.
  #5    Top
Old September 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Good article. And nice to have a visual. I have always liked the articles posted, but it's always been better when there have been visuals to help convey a particular concept.
  #6    Top
Old November 16th, 2014, 07:19 AM

Nice review. All the points are very clear and the images helped us better understand the performance of the lens. Didn't know that APS-C Canon camera provides a crop factor of 1.6, that was new to me.

Thanks for sharing.
Anshul Sukhwal
Street Photography in India
  #7    Top
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

2 Possible corrections/additions.

Angle of view from a 50mm lens may or may not be similar to human vision, but perspective of the lens compared to vision seems to be the same.
For myself, if I include peripheral vision, I can see a much wider angle of view, but what I can actually focus on seems similar to the 50mm lens.

With Nikon 50mm lenses, either f/1.4 or 1.8 should be from the D series of lenses to have an aperture ring. G series lenses will not have the aperture ring.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101