Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 4th, 2014, 02:57 PM
What does one have to do to get a comment????

I happened to check out my gallery and found that it contains 5 photos.
They have a collective total of 5,736 views and exactly 0 comments.
Additionally, I currently have two shots in the "Urban Scenes" forum that were posted on October 28th. I consider them to be reasonably good examples of street or PJ, and they have been viewed 79 and 59 times respectively, and again have attracted exactly 0 comments.
I'm starting to think that if my stuff continues to be ignored while shots in other genres seem to get all the attention, I'll re-consider if it is even worth the trouble to post here.
I don't care if my shots are praised, or panned, but I do care very much when they are simply ignored.
  #2    Top
Old November 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Robert,
You're not the 1st to sense frustration and not understanding the non response to images. Let me share a couple of observations and opinions:
  1. Your history of submittals, although not constrained to urban street scenes, is primarily about such. You are VERY good at capturing the essence of the plight of some of its less fortunate inhabitants (as well as other characters). It isn't always easy (comfortable) fully comprehending and thus acknowledging the existence of such....or at least articulating such. That does NOT mean they aren't worthy of viewing or commenting (quite the opposite in fact) but rather it's tougher as to what to say. Know that your shots are thought provoking. Personally, I'm not a "street photographer" and wouldn't be comfortable doing so....or even much of a people photog (other than family).
  2. As to Urban Scenes forum vs other forums, I (and I believe a number of others) are virtually blind as to what forum things are actually posted in. I peruse thru the New Posts, totally disregarding whether it's Animals or Urban and especially whether its "Sharing" or Critiquing....they don't function as such. We've long discussed the appropriateness of reconfiguring the forums into fewer (much, hopefully) forums and most likely doing away with the well intended but unenforceable differentiation between critique and sharing forums. Your 2 aforementioned recent posts are a week old, no replies, and yet are the most recent threads....speaking volumes as to the activity level in that genre (or at least as a placement of threads). Personally, I'd stick it in one of the People forums, most likely in the Sharing/People as Sharing forums get far more traffic.
  3. You will note a couple of things about "replies" and "views". Upon submitting a new thread, there's a quick burst of non-reply views, presumably the activity of bots. Thereafter, there seems to be a hesitancy for replies....until at least 1 or 2 others have done so first....can't figure that one out. The biggest, and ongoing, issue is that more and more and more there are viewers who feel NO responsibility to sustain the vitality of a community by contributing feedback....the lifeblood of any online community. They are "takers"....and they always have excuses, ie "I don't have enough time", "I'm not qualified", yada yada. They presumably have a thought.....express it!
I apologize for not being more consistent about replying to and thus supporting your works....it's always been appreciated by me.

I certainly hope and encourage you to continue submitting. I think the diversity of interests, talents, and "ways of seeing the world" are crucial to the viability of any community and especially photography-centric ones.
  #3    Top
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Many of us may also be members at other forums and have seen an image and commented already. For instance I have seen the street sweeper shot a while ago.
  #4    Top
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Many of us may also be members at other forums and have seen an image and commented already. For instance I have seen the street sweeper shot a while ago.
Fair enough.
But the shot as I post this has had 80 views. And the other 79 people didn't see it and comment elsewhere.
My complaint is about the lack of comments here.
  #5    Top
Old November 5th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Recent Photo: mrchile - Peony
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

It is frustrating and I feel for the members.
Also know that historically, the gallery doesn't get much comment, mostly due to the majority not viewing in the gallery but rather the forums and most members use the gallery as a host for the photos they're posting in the forums.

I for one, and yes, this could be considered making excuses, am guilty of viewing but not commenting. I view every single photo posted on this site. I make nominations, I sometimes give out rep, I sometimes comment, but I also feel I contribute to the site in many other ways. I also have not hidden the fact that my life is changing and I'm not as active as I was. Life for all people and all sites ebbs and flows.

I also like your work and like the film aspect of it and apologize I have not made that known by commenting.

I feel there has also been a lot of, "don't just post nice pic, or I like it, and so forth" commentary on this site so people are reluctant to post if they don't want to or aren't comfortable with posting in depth feedback.

Just my $0.02, right, wrong or indifferent.
  #6    Top
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

That used to get me too. I used to post stuff to galleries here just for the galleries, and some have I think thousands of views...no rating, no comments. I don't know specifically what the difference is why they would comment on a forum photo post and not a gallery photo post (and yes I'm saying two different photos, one ONLY in the gallery, and one that is in a forum thread).

I just chalked it up to, "I suck." I realize I don't post much as compared to others, but in the 3 almost 4 years I've been here...I've not once been nominated for a POTM. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I figure it's got to be me. When I figure out what to improve, and how to improve it, I'm sure that will change. Until then...I'll just keep on truckin'.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #7    Top
Old November 12th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

personally I never ever visit the gallery area let alone comment there, I dont visit the Urban section very often either,, that's just me though,, there are many people who simply troll through images and many seldom do anything other then just that,
I wouldnt take it personal, maybe try another section such as the "Share" section which to me seems to get alot more traffic
  #8    Top
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:04 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'm thinking there are no more than 20-30 people active on these forums. I remember back a few years ago this place was bustling with people that did comment and contribute. As it is now I only see a handful of people coming and going, i don't even get messages for Tim anymore about updates, voting.
I know it takes lots of work to run a forum but I'd probably want to do a sweep of all inactive members, remove all the false members names and maybe get a real count as to how many people actually are online and lurking
  #9    Top
Old December 23rd, 2014, 03:25 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
I'm thinking there are no more than 20-30 people active on these forums. I remember back a few years ago this place was bustling with people that did comment and contribute. As it is now I only see a handful of people coming and going, i don't even get messages for Tim anymore about updates, voting.
I know it takes lots of work to run a forum but I'd probably want to do a sweep of all inactive members, remove all the false members names and maybe get a real count as to how many people actually are online and lurking

Hey Manny you missed the update. Tim is no longer running the site. We have 2 new admins now John & Marlen Gong who are running the site. Tim still pokes in from time to time to say Hi.

What would be interesting to compare would be the vote totals for CCC and POTM voting over the past 3 years to see if vote participation is up down or roughly the same.
  #10    Top
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:47 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Not sure If the mods or admins see this, but I have an idea for the viewers who do not leave back comments, but may like the photo. Can we add a simple "LIKE" button? i'm on another forum which has this and I use it a bunch as I'm a man of very few words

just throwing it out there
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions