Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11    Top
Old June 13th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Gems's Avatar
Gems Gems is offline
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
Not sure If the mods or admins see this, but I have an idea for the viewers who do not leave back comments, but may like the photo. Can we add a simple "LIKE" button? i'm on another forum which has this and I use it a bunch as I'm a man of very few words

just throwing it out there
I actually think this a really good idea. I don't give as much feedback as I should, and sometimes that is because I just don't know what to say. I think a 'like button', especially in the Sharing forum, would be a great idea.
__________________
Sabine
www.northernexpanse.com
www.fb.com/Northernexpanse.Photography


“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #12    Top
Old June 13th, 2015, 09:10 PM
RBSinTo RBSinTo is offline
Senior Member
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
Not sure If the mods or admins see this, but I have an idea for the viewers who do not leave back comments, but may like the photo. Can we add a simple "LIKE" button? i'm on another forum which has this and I use it a bunch as I'm a man of very few words

just throwing it out there
For my money, that is even worse. It is the lazy man's way of commenting.
Should there also be a "Don't like" button for photos one really dislikes?
If you like a shot tell why you like it.
If I take the time to comment on a photo I try to give constructive comments or criticisms that would be helpful to the maker.
Saying I like something, to me isn't helpful at all.
The arguement is really moot as I'm starting to see that very few people comment here anyway, so complaining about it is beating a dead horse.
I've been actively looking for PJ/Street based sites where like-minded photographers gather to show their work and comment, and think I've found a couple, so I'll likely just post elsewhere in future.
__________________
I shoot with film. That's film. F....I....L....M. You remember film. It was in all the papers.
  #13    Top
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:46 PM
agiledogs's Avatar
agiledogs agiledogs is offline
Moderator
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Many of us are good at telling what we like about a particular photo, but lousy at what we don't like. Even worse, some of us are especially bad about being told that a shot we love so much is not as great as we perceive....I am as guilty of that as anyone

Still critiquing and commenting are perhaps 2 different things. In any case I know I have seen some images that I really have no words to offer good or bad, in other cases things jump out at me. I have also been quite busy this past month with dog shows, track and field events a jazz festival and gearing up for my upcoming trip to Yosemite so I have not taken the time to view and leave as many comments as perhaps I would like.

I do agree though that like buttons would be as mentioned a lazy way of commenting.
__________________
The mountains are calling and I must go....John Muir
https://www.facebook.com/AgiledogsPhotography/
  #14    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 12:58 AM
MannyC's Avatar
MannyC MannyC is offline
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
For my money, that is even worse. It is the lazy man's way of commenting.
Should there also be a "Don't like" button for photos one really dislikes?
If you like a shot tell why you like it.
If I take the time to comment on a photo I try to give constructive comments or criticisms that would be helpful to the maker.
Saying I like something, to me isn't helpful at all.
The arguement is really moot as I'm starting to see that very few people comment here anyway, so complaining about it is beating a dead horse.
I've been actively looking for PJ/Street based sites where like-minded photographers gather to show their work and comment, and think I've found a couple, so I'll likely just post elsewhere in future.
I really wasn't complaining about the matter, just trying to suggest something new. Some of my work gets comments, some don't.

Sometimes It can be a 2 way street, It's easy to see how one communicates on this site, you can see where a member comments on others work, or simply reply to their own posted work.
Saying you like something with a like button is better then disregarding the photo, but thats just my opinion.
  #15    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Nod Nod is online now
Elite Member
Recent Photo: DSC04769
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
For my money, that is even worse. It is the lazy man's way of commenting.
Should there also be a "Don't like" button for photos one really dislikes?
If you like a shot tell why you like it.
If I take the time to comment on a photo I try to give constructive comments or criticisms that would be helpful to the maker.
Saying I like something, to me isn't helpful at all.
The arguement is really moot as I'm starting to see that very few people comment here anyway, so complaining about it is beating a dead horse.
I've been actively looking for PJ/Street based sites where like-minded photographers gather to show their work and comment, and think I've found a couple, so I'll likely just post elsewhere in future.
I agree wholeheartedly, I've pretty much quit posting here ( I know my work is amateurish at best) but when a shot gets 200 looks and maybe 1 comment, it doesn't seem worth the effort. I posted a shot of a mother squirrel moving her young from the nest to another place and it got 2 comments. In my mind, those shots were something that few people have ever witnessed and I thought they would generate some interest. But no. I know not everybody is interested in nature shots ( Just as RBSinTo says about his Urban shots) but unusual photos should generate more comments. Although I also notice that these forums aren't posting as much as they use too. Just my thoughts. By the way, I went back to the "OLD" site and read through the archives. It was common for 10-20 or more comments on a photo, or at least arguing over it. Ahh, the good ole days.
  #16    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM
RBSinTo RBSinTo is offline
Senior Member
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nod View Post
I agree wholeheartedly, I've pretty much quit posting here ( I know my work is amateurish at best) but when a shot gets 200 looks and maybe 1 comment, it doesn't seem worth the effort. I posted a shot of a mother squirrel moving her young from the nest to another place and it got 2 comments. In my mind, those shots were something that few people have ever witnessed and I thought they would generate some interest. But no. I know not everybody is interested in nature shots ( Just as RBSinTo says about his Urban shots) but unusual photos should generate more comments. Although I also notice that these forums aren't posting as much as they use too. Just my thoughts. By the way, I went back to the "OLD" site and read through the archives. It was common for 10-20 or more comments on a photo, or at least arguing over it. Ahh, the good ole days.
My "In the shadows" in Urban Scenes currently has 311 views, and 5 comments, (one, a reply of mine thanking a poster).
I'm rapidly realizing that there are probably too many existing internet photo-sites, all basically very similar. So,unless a site has something for me that makes it stand out from the others, I don't have the time to post and participate there, and truthfully, I'm coming to that that conclusion about this site.
__________________
I shoot with film. That's film. F....I....L....M. You remember film. It was in all the papers.
  #17    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:25 PM
jaharris1001's Avatar
jaharris1001 jaharris1001 is offline
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Many of us are good at telling what we like about a particular photo, but lousy at what we don't like. Even worse, some of us are especially bad about being told that a shot we love so much is not as great as we perceive....I am as guilty of that as anyone
there are many who take offense to critical analyzing of their image too, its a thin line we walk and many times its easier to just give the "nice comment" and to me its better then "no" comment
another thing though, in order to GET comments, you have to GIVE comments, many people that complain about not getting any comments NEVER comment on other peoples work, so if YOU dont comment on peoples work how can you get upset when people dont comment on yours,, it's a two way street as far as I'm concerned, I try to comment on many peoples work, often I'm not here but I still try when I am, mainly in the " photo sharing corner" and certain sections in the critique area, but normally I dont visit all areas of this forum, so some of the specialty areas wont get as much traffic as the "sharing" section, but again, the people who take the time to comment on OTHER peoples work are MORE likely to get comments from the regulars here, if you post only and expect people to comment you'll likely get a small amount of traffic
__________________
" I'm growing older,,but not up "
Jimmy Buffett
  #18    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:45 PM
RBSinTo RBSinTo is offline
Senior Member
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaharris1001 View Post
there are many who take offense to critical analyzing of their image too, its a thin line we walk and many times its easier to just give the "nice comment" and to me its better then "no" comment
another thing though, in order to GET comments, you have to GIVE comments, many people that complain about not getting any comments NEVER comment on other peoples work, so if YOU dont comment on peoples work how can you get upset when people dont comment on yours,, it's a two way street as far as I'm concerned, I try to comment on many peoples work, often I'm not here but I still try when I am, mainly in the " photo sharing corner" and certain sections in the critique area, but normally I dont visit all areas of this forum, so some of the specialty areas wont get as much traffic as the "sharing" section, but again, the people who take the time to comment on OTHER peoples work are MORE likely to get comments from the regulars here, if you post only and expect people to comment you'll likely get a small amount of traffic
To those who have fallen in love with their work so much that critical comments are offensive, then just post with a note that comments are not welcome.
Besides, what are we? Soccer Moms who want to protect their little darlings from the realities of life by eliminating every situation or comment that might cause them the slightest consternation?
I always try to find something good to say, but even so sometimes criticism of an image is impossible to avoid. And so what?
I participate in an Evaluation Group of advanced photographers, and often some of my stuff is really savaged by the others. However, the sun always comes up the next day, and my life goes on. But I might just have learned a thing or two from the experience that will make me a better photographer.
And finally, If your "You" refers to me specifically, I have offered comments on others work in the Urban Scene thread, but haven't much lately, because as I explained in earlier replies in this thread, there isn't a great deal of anything unique or special to keep me coming back.
Like many others, I came to this site when Popphoto was swirling down the bowl, but even the low level of participation there, was greater than what I'm seeing here.
The main reason I replied to this was because someone else did and I got a note in my home email to that effect.
__________________
I shoot with film. That's film. F....I....L....M. You remember film. It was in all the papers.
  #19    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 04:25 PM
jaharris1001's Avatar
jaharris1001 jaharris1001 is offline
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBSinTo View Post
To those who have fallen in love with their work so much that critical comments are offensive, then just post with a note that comments are not welcome.
Besides, what are we? Soccer Moms who want to protect their little darlings from the realities of life by eliminating every situation or comment that might cause them the slightest consternation?
I always try to find something good to say, but even so sometimes criticism of an image is impossible to avoid. And so what?
I participate in an Evaluation Group of advanced photographers, and often some of my stuff is really savaged by the others. However, the sun always comes up the next day, and my life goes on. But I might just have learned a thing or two from the experience that will make me a better photographer.
And finally, If your "You" refers to me specifically, I have offered comments on others work in the Urban Scene thread, but haven't much lately, because as I explained in earlier replies in this thread, there isn't a great deal of anything unique or special to keep me coming back.
Like many others, I came to this site when Popphoto was swirling down the bowl, but even the low level of participation there, was greater than what I'm seeing here.
The main reason I replied to this was because someone else did and I got a note in my home email to that effect.
I'm glad you replied,, I wasnt exactly referring to "YOU" in particular, it was intended to be more of a general reference, but I guess you could be included in that general reference
all of us "long time" forum members usually welcome good AND bad critiques, I do, I have a thick skin and I'm sure you do as well,, I KNOW what I like in my own work and if someone disagrees thats fine, it doesnt hurt my feelings,,we have had some though that got offended if comments other then "GREAT" werent used and of course some of those people are no longer here,,
you know another thing is you should venture outside of JUST using the "urban" section of this forum, I've stated before that the "sharing" section gets a lot more traffic and you are more likely to get your images seen in those sections as well as commented upon, again there are weeks that go by where I dont even go into certain areas but I always stop in the sharing section,, go through other areas of the forum, comment on other peoples work, I'm not a bird shooter but I still comment on bird images, same for portraits and many other genre's
Summer is upon us and hitting hard here in Florida, so for me personally activity is less then it was when it was cool out, that may be a reason for slow activity
__________________
" I'm growing older,,but not up "
Jimmy Buffett
Sponsors
  #20    Top
Old June 14th, 2015, 09:03 PM
RBSinTo RBSinTo is offline
Senior Member
Re: What does one have to do to get a comment????

It just occurred to me that there is a delicious irony to this thread, as it probably has more comments than many others started on this site, including photos.
More's the pity.
__________________
I shoot with film. That's film. F....I....L....M. You remember film. It was in all the papers.
Reply
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions




Bookmarks

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please comment soumen Places 7 January 1st, 2009 09:10 AM
any comment? dr bouz Things 3 July 10th, 2006 11:32 AM
comment pls sam09 Things 9 July 8th, 2005 05:39 AM
Please comment gareth12468 Things 2 July 7th, 2005 02:42 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.