Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 6th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Are UV Filters on DSLR Cameras Pointless?

With today's lenses having built-in UV protection and high quality coatings, are UV filters even needed anymore?

What are your thoughts?
  #2    Top
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Are UV Filters on DSLR Cameras Pointless?

i keep one on my 24-105 as insurance against damage, but i don't bother with one on my long telephoto because the lens hood offers enough protection.

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #3    Top
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I've only had problems using UV filters...keeping them clean, vignetting and even had one get stuck on a lens.
  #4    Top
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:29 AM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I just use it to protect the lens. It's cheaper to by a uv filter that buy another lens.
  #5    Top
Old April 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I seem to photograph where any exposed glass gets dirty, ie salt spray, water, mud, POLLEN, little kid's fingers, etc. It is far, far cheaper/safer to clean a filter at the risk of doing it harm (grit), replace it rather than the lens. That said, if others insist on not using one....more power to 'em. While digital cameras are nearly as sensitive to UV (filtered over sensor?) as film, there are differences as to exactly where in the spectrum the light attenuation takes place and to what degree. Shooting in UV sensitive environs (mountains), I use either a UV or, more probably, a CPL if outdoors....unless I'm shooting fast moving wildlife and can't afford the light loss of a CPL.

The argument to use or not use a UV/Haze, aka protective, filter is older than Fords vs Chevies. I'm more comfortable using filters for several purposes including protection with the single caveat that they be a QUALITY filter, ie multicoated.
  #6    Top
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:10 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Like others I only use them to protect my lenses.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101