Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Shooting events

So I was shooting an event on behalf of our local humane society at a local mall. It was free cone day at Ben and Jerry's. Half way through the afternoon I was accosted by 2 individuals who did not want there images taken.

Note I was not shooting individual shots (portraits), but newsworthy photos covering the event. I ended up asking them to contact my editor (SD Pet magazine).

I figured it was a public event in a public place so no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Any who had fun in spite of these persons.
  #2    Top
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Shooting events

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post

I figured it was a public event in a public place so no reasonable expectation of privacy.

You were in a mall...they were probably on at least 12 security cameras before you "took their photo"

Glad you had fun. I'm still playing catch up and haven't seen any yet, but will we get to see some of those shots or will you not be allowed to post them since it was for the magazine?

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
  #3    Top
Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:59 PM
Recent Photo: Sit in
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

People are weird. They all take selfies and post on Faceplant, but dont want their photos taken.

I was asked to shoot a local event for a newspaper(just a little rag, but they liked to call them self a newspaper) It was a rally, with about 5000 people marching on the street. I had a similar situation when three of the ladies started yelling for us "photographers" not to take there photos. I was not the only picture taker, and there were media from TV and newspapers there. I was in the front lines and walking backwards snapping photos.
When the rally was over, I was approached by 2 of the ladies who asked who I was working for, and gave the name of the newspaper who I was shooting for. I said ,I was only "doing what I was asked by them", and if they wanted to be part of a rally with 5000 people, they would sure to be in photos. They asked when I was editing to black out their faces.
I just said, to talk to the paper.
Visit me here..Room57
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:39 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

personally I have no experience with these circumstances but find it humorous that someone would have issues being photographed at such events,, crazy !! I think I would get pretty irritated if someone approached me with an attitude telling me what I can and cant do in a public setting like you guys described
  #5    Top
Old April 25th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Ever the contrarian, I'm going to take a walk in the other person's shoes.

In today's world, you're photo is taken by red light cameras, security cameras, and even ATM cameras. Every keystroke is recorded by Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and the NSA. Privacy has become a joke. Then someone comes along and takes a picture of you without permission. You ask (perhaps not very politely) that your image not be published, and you're told "tough--it's a public place."

I don't mean to say you're wrong, Clark, Carl, or Jim, only that I can sympathize.

flickr Photostream
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner