Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:40 AM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Professional Photographer Shares Uncomfortable Truths About the Industry

A professional photographer came forward on Reddit with a real rant about the photography industry. It's causing a stir amongst photographers everywhere - perhaps because he makes some great points! Read more here

#2    Top
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:56 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Professional Photographer Shares Uncomfortable Truths About the Industry

To put it bluntly, you photos do not have to be good....just good enough
  #3    Top
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:11 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Yes, it is super easy for most people now to buy a decent camera. Be it a point-and-shoot, or entry DSLR. That does not mean all you professional photographers are going to lose business, because all those people automatically think they can become professionals, too. They might try, but will no doubt fail (at first anyway), realizing there is a lot more to it, than having a shiny new camera.

I think if you are good, it doesn't really matter if you shoot with a point-and-shoot, or entry-, or professional DSLR. And if you are good, you deserve to make a living from it (if that's what you decide to try to do), no matter how long you've been doing it, or how much money you've spent on super equipment.

And anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some of the photos I really like... well, others really don't. Then again it can be totally the other way. I've actually won a few competitions with photos I thought would never do anything.

Photography is very subjective. I have seen shots from so-called amazing, professional photographers, yet I didn't like their work at all.

Don't worry about your profession. If you are good, you will attract people over and over again.

One thing I don't agree with is to "shoot what the client wants". I would rather never be a professional photographer, if it meant I have to change what I like doing. I actually actively sold my work for about year, but recently stopped again. Having to see things in a way so that prospective buyers would like my photos... it sucked the fun out of photography for me. I ended up hardly touching my camera for about 4 months.

I've gone back to photography just being a hobby now, and I take photos all of the time. Family, animals, landscape... I love it again. I have that spark back. And every-so-often I actually still sell some of my photos, just by people seeing them in my husband's office, or on my website.

I will never compromise my love for my art (if that's what I can call it) again.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old April 18th, 2015, 07:13 AM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

anyone can "buy" great gear, NOT everyone can "Take" a great photo
  #5    Top
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Again if someone is at an event you shoot for sale, and their pics are free, for most it won't matter how good your shots are as long as the free ones are good enough.
  #6    Top
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:13 AM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaharris1001 View Post
anyone can "buy" great gear, NOT everyone can "Take" a great photo
indeed, as was mentioned before though...there's great, and then there's "good enough."

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Again if someone is at an event you shoot for sale, and their pics are free, for most it won't matter how good your shots are as long as the free ones are good enough.
This is where I run into issues as a semi-professional photographer. I'd love to do it full time. I've been trained in various ways to take great photos, be it landscape or portrait. (Have never really found a niche, which I know really only hurts me rather than focusing on one aspect I'm really great at.) Problem is I suck at marketing and business planning. I love people in the studio/on location...I hate talking to people otherwise, unless its via an electronic format. I get uncomfortable, and I'm sure that shows through when trying to get extra business.

It's basically the reason I've stayed semi-professional, and not gone full pro. I can't make it professionally between the lack of business acumen, and I've never truly been competitive...ever...

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News