Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Printing

When making prints what is your preferred type of print

Glossy

Matte

Luster

Or preferred paper type?
  #2    Top
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:56 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Printing

From my old darkroom days to the inkjet I use today, my belief is it all relates to the image you are printing and what it is for. In the wet darkroom I preferred un-ferrotyped Agfa Brovira Glossy. My "general" use preference now is Epson Luster. Just one of many opinions I'm sure.
  #3    Top
Old May 20th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

In class I got to play around with 4 papers:

Hahnamule Photo Luster
Hahnamule William Turner
Canon Pro Platinum
Epson Exhibition Fiber

The william turner is excellent for anything you would paint as a water color. Not so much for portraits. Its a heavily textured paper.

The Photo Luster from Hahanemule was excellent for BW prints It really has a nice white.

Pro Platinum is a super high glossy print that has really nicely saturated colors. If you like glossy its an awesome choice.

The exhibition fiber is a luster quality print that was fun to work with but I prefer the Hahnemule.

The real key though to quality print making though is ensuring you paper is profiled for you printer. Its makes a huge difference even over the canned profiles you can download from most manufacturer sites.
  #4    Top
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Roses On Counter Top
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

[quote=agiledogs;809959]In class I got to play around with 4 papers:

Hahnamule Photo Luster
Hahnamule William Turner
Canon Pro Platinum
Epson Exhibition Fiber

The real key though to quality print making though is ensuring you paper is profiled for you printer. Its makes a huge difference even over the canned profiles you can download from most manufacturer sites.[/QUOTE]

How True...

I find myself using 3 major brand papers. Epson, Hahnamule, Canson, different surfaces. Epson Exhibition Fiber appears to be very close to the feel and look of un-ferrotyped Agfa Brovira which I always liked for wet darkroom B&W printing and the color is looks good (non-gloss with a sheen). I should make a print from one of my old B&W negs scanned and see how it compares to a darkroom print from the past. Just seems to be to many things to do and so little time...

Still the general use paper I go to is Epson Ultra Premium Photo Luster, it has a slight texture, rich color and dries fast. My printer is an Epson R3000.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:27 PM

I think it depends on the image and what you're planning to do with the print. Personally I like matte but I find that at work as a wedding photographer, clients prefer glossy and that works better to casually show off examples during meetings.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner