Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:33 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
"And God said 'Let there be light.'"

We had a forecast for good aurora very early Sunday morning (midnight), so I went to bed early, got up early, and got out. It was well worth the trip! I took 175 pictures, and amazingly most of them turned out. Here are some of our favorites, for various reasons.

I won't deny working these in Lightroom. The interesting concept is "what I saw." Obviously I couldn't make out the detail in a glimpse these longer exposures bring in. The longer exposure also bumps the saturation a bit. Then there's how Lightroom interprets the initial RAW file. But in the end, "how I saw it" was more than just visual; it was emotional, I was a bit cold as the night wore on, it was both loud and peaceful as the lights waxed and waned, and generally exciting. All this gets put into my interpretation of the scene to tell the story.

1) This one is all about the story. Everywhere near Anchorage with a flat space to park was filled. There were photographers, tourists (many delivered via taxi), families, and gawkers there to view this awesome site. I liked how the lights in Anchorage silhouetted these photographers.

Anchorage Aurora.jpg by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual Exposure, f/5.6, 6 sec, ISO 2500, Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm, tripod

2) This is my personal favorite, and destined for a print (thus the crop ratio). I had hoped to illustrate the scale of the lights against the nearby mountains, but unfortunately I think the fence (which I used consciously) ends up minimizing the scale somewhat.

Green and Purple Over McHugh.jpg by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual exposure, f/2.8, 1 sec, ISO 2500, Nikon 14-24mm @ 14mm, tripod

3) This is from a location called Potter Marsh, which is most famous in Anchorage for the waterfowl that use this protected wetlands for migrations. I'd hoped to get some water reflections to include. The reflections didn't turn out, but in the end I liked this one looking NE toward Anchorage. It helps show how bright the aurora can indeed get.

Potter Marsh Aurora.jpg by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual Exposure, F/5, 8 sec, ISO 2500, Nikon 14-24 @ 14mm, tripod

4) It's amazing that in even as unimaginative a person as me, pareidolia takes over, and you start seeing things that aren't really there. I see an angel, a dragon, and a demon.

4a)

Aurora Angel.jpg by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual exposure, f/2.8, 1 sec, ISO 2500, 14-24@14mm, tripod

4b)

Auroral Dragon.jpg by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual exposure, f/2.8, 1 sec, ISO 2500, 14-24@14mm, tripod

4c)

Beautifully Spooky.jpg by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual exposure, f/2.8, 1 sec, ISO 1250, 14-24@15mm, tripod

5) But in the end, I'm sharing because of the emotional impact of the event on me. I hope this one conveys the sense of joy and awe I had while there. Technically, it was challenging getting the hyperfocal set, getting the composition I wanted, timing the shot between wind gusts that blurred the leaves in the tree, and not getting stepped on by folks walking up and down the path.

Aurora Tree Wallpaper by Tim Murray, on Flickr
Manual Exposure, f/5, 10 sec, ISO 2500, 14-24@17mm, tripod

The aurora is well worth making the effort to see, and I highly recommend it.

As always, I welcome your comments and critique.

flickr Photostream
  #2    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Administrator
Recent Photo: potm5
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: "And God said 'Let there be light.'"

Beautiful Series Tim! Thanks for sharing.
  #3    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Fine Feather @ Dusk
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

A sight to see-I am filled with envy. WONDERFUL! On both counts-the emotion stirred and the images captured.
  #4    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:23 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I am so envious right now! I had to make a trip to Germany to spend time with my poorly sister, and I have missed sooooooo many nights of Northern Lights.

There better be some more when I get back.

All of these are gorgeous. I think the last is my favourite, but I do love them all. Lucky you.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #5    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Elite VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPremiere Project of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins the Premiere Project of the Year contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Thats something I've never witnessed in real life, looks beautiful !! Makes me think of the guys back in the 60s LSD days, can you imagine sitting there watching that while you're trippin LOL beautiful work Tim !!
  #6    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Jaw dropping stuff for sure Tim......... hard to pick any one as a favorite.

This is certainly something I've put on the bucket list, hopefully it will come to fruition.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #7    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Brilliant captures here Tim, thanks for sharing
  #8    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Wonderful series Tim I really like the one with the fence
  #9    Top
Old August 25th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Dark-Eyed Junco
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Now That's A LIGHT SHOW...
  #10    Top
Old August 27th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Thanks for viewing and commenting, John, Noel, Sabine, Jim, John, Manny, Clark, and Jerry!

flickr Photostream
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places