Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Urban Scenes

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 26th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Road to Riches

Hi all,

I am still going through my NYC photos and came across this one. I had my crappy kit lens with me and wanted to get a wide angle so I tried my luck with a manual multishot to create a pano. This is my first attempt so I am quite happy, please let me know what you think and I would love to know what I can do differently next time as I am learning all the time and your comments keep me trying.

Ric

Road to riches by richard booth, on Flickr
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old November 7th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Road to Riches

The only thing I would have tried would be to get the entire building in the final result.
I love doing street panos like this and from my own experience I've found you need to make sure you get enough shots to give yourself room to capture every bit you want.
After any distortion corrections and cropping, you still might not have enough left if you don't.
Even then, it isn't always easy to know when enough is enough.
This is still pretty good, and I like that you sort of get a peek down each street on either side of the building. The kind of stuff I look for in my own street panos.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #3    Top
Old November 8th, 2015, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the comments, I know what you mean about more is better, I did take more but my laptop would only process 6 without setting on fire and that took 2hrs to convert..... I am a poor (as in cash poor) photographer 😢
  #4    Top
Old November 8th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

It is an interesting photo. Technically, the perspective is well controlled, especially for a multi-shot pano, EXCEPT for the slight in-leaning on the left side and there is a slight pincushioning (dimensionally wider in the corners) on the bottom, ie there seems to be a crown in the intersection with the road falling off to the right (I envision Manhattan being "flat"). I'm curious as to whether you kept the lens axis horizontal (thus more space below the building, top cropped off) to help with perspective? I also note distinct differences in the sky on left vs right corner....perhaps a function of using a polarizer with differing effects as one pans from less to more perpendicular to direction of sun.

Did you do some HDR or dodging/burning? I'd expect more contrast between the sunlit and shadowed areas given the sunny conditions. While I like seeing detail in the shadows, I also get the feeling that it's not "real". Real being defined more as what a CAMERA single shot would reveal and less about what one's eye/brain would perceive.

Overall a very challenging shot well done.