Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 10th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Yongnuo YN568EX HSS Help

I received this flash as a present for my last birthday and was excited because I read that I could do HSS with it. My camera (Sony a77ii) supports it. But I can't figure out how to get the flash into HSS mode. The manual almost looks like it was written for a slightly different flash. The one I have looks like the on on this webpage (YongNuo YN-568EX FP HSS Flash for NIKON Now Available | FLASH HAVOC). There is no specific HSS button, but all the documentation states it works. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!!
  #2    Top
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Yongnuo YN568EX HSS Help

Documentation for the flash or your camera?

Your camera's manual does not indicate support for High Speed Sync so it may take a special radio adapter to work with the flash to provide that capability.

I found an old thread concerning this issue and the end result was the person going to check out a different type of flash a metz flash gun.
  #3    Top
Old December 10th, 2015, 05:06 PM

The manual for the flash is what's bad. The manual for my camera states --

High speed synchronization function (HSS) can be used only when an HSS-capable external flash (sold separately) is attached to the product. An HSS flash operates by sending multiple small bursts of light at high speed to simulate the effect of one long burst of flash so that you can shoot images with flash at all shutter speeds.

* High speed synchronization function (HSS) is also available during wireless flash shooting.
  #4    Top
Old December 10th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

You may need to be in fill flash mode then. Most of what I found on line used a wireless adapter to remotely trigger a HSS flash.

On the plus side though you do have a max sync speed of 1/250s which is generally enough to freeze about anything with flash anyway.

I know with nikon you pretty much need to be in manual mode and it seems to automatically figure it out with the nikkor flash units.
  #5    Top
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

I'm not familiar enough (or at all) with Nikon gear to advise but I did find this comprehensive review of your YongNuo YN-568EX FP HSS and it does appear that it does have HSS. I noted in the review's image of the flash unit the familiar looking lightning bolt beside H that represents high speed sync. Ensure that you're in HSS mode (shown on LCD) and that your shutter speed is set ABOVE sync speed (1/250?), ie 1/300, 1/500, 1/1000 etc. You should get a quick almost indiscernible burst of flashes.

If you don't already know it, flash duration is MUCH less (ie faster) than the shutter speed. Depending on how much ambient light exists, you might be able to freeze your moving subject with a flash while using a relatively longer shutter speed, ie shoot at 1/60 sec but flash duration is 1/1000 second. Flash brightness is virtually always the same BUT the amount of light is a function of the duration of that brightness. For subjects relatively closer and thus requiring less power, flash duration is shorter.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Pro Equipment & Lighting