Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:18 PM
How to question on macro shooting

Can anyone tell me if I should look at each of my macro shots after taking a photo each time of the same subject so I should change camera settings if I keep getting blurry shots which I see when I zoom into each photo?
  #2    Top
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: How to question on macro shooting

You're only going to need to change the settings If your too dark or vise versa, seems to me it's your focus giving you blurry pix. camera shake is inevitable while trying to take shots of tiny objects. you can either raise your ISO some to get your shutter speed up a tad, or try using a tripod to keep the shakes from happening. As far as looking at your shots after shooting, that always helps and it's saved me countless times from having my settings set to yesterdays shoot.

Post up a few shots and we should be able to tell from your exif if your settings are correct.
good luck.
  #3    Top
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:42 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

To what level are you zooming in on your images?
  #4    Top
Old December 12th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

There's properly EXPOSED shots and there are sharply FOCUSED shots, sometimes both or neither! When you focus at any given distance (focus distance) you also have a range in front of and behind that focus distance that is "acceptably" sharp. That range is called Depth of Field or DOF. DOF at any given aperture on the same lens is always relative to the focus distance. Lets say that at aperture X and focus distance 10 ft, your DOF is +/- 5%, ie from 9.5 ft to 10.5 ft is acceptably sharp. Same lens, same aperture but focus distance is now 1 ft (assuming it will focus that closely), then the DOF is still 5% (relative) but that equates from 11.4" to 12.6", ie about 1.2". The reality is that when shooting macro and presumably at SHORT focus distances, your DOF is VERY shallow, sometimes a fraction of an inch. If your camera moves (handheld) or your subject moves, the image will rapidly become out of focus. If handheld, shoot fast aperture which probably will necessitate higher ISO. You'll probably want as small of an aperture, ie f-11, f-16, etc as possible (smaller the aperture, the greater the DOF). Otherwise shoot on a tripod, use still subjects, focus manually, use fill flash if you need more lighting.
  #5    Top
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:07 AM

I'm not sure who will read this but I really appreciate the responses and good advice. I have a camera that automatically sets the camera for a variety of modes - from macro to landscape to panorama, dawn, sunset, etc. and I've been relying on these modes. Since I like shooting macro and oftentimes get blurry pics, I think know I'll raise my aperture setting to f-8 which is the highest number on my camera.
I always make sure my subject is in focus when waiting to see a green box. But even then, I still get blurry pics. When I use a tripod I have the option to press the shutter button halfway and verbally say shoot after seeing the green box or touching the screen. Which option is better to prevent camera shake? Also I'll try to look at each pic after shooting and make adjustments if I still see blurriness.
Thanks in advance for any more advice, suggestions.
  #6    Top
Old December 12th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Thanks for your good advice about depth of field. My highest aperture number is f-8 so I'll start changing that and see if my pics come out clearer. As for using a tripod, I have the option of vocally saying shoot after pressing the shutter button halfway and seeing a green focus box or touching the screen. What is the better option for sharper pics?
Thank you in advance for your advice, suggestions.
  #7    Top
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Guess we could of ask what gear are you using? Voice activated huh?
  #8    Top
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:07 AM

Yes. And I have a touch screen. But my pics a still slightly blurry. I've tried increasing my aperture so I guess I should increase my shutter speed.
  #9    Top
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

One other thing to consider as as well is minimum focusing distance from your subject. Even when cameras are in "macro" mode there is still a minimum focusing distance from your subject to your camera that you must observe.
  #10    Top
Old December 13th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Senior VIP Member

OK, just checked out your exif on the crab spider shot, looks like your fstop was set to f/3.5 try bumping that up to f/8.0 of even up to f/11 or so. At f/3.0 your dof is just to shallow and your not going to get every part of your subject in focus, plus at that aperture and using your flash will overexpose the capture.
Thats a pretty pricey p&s I must say, no wonder it's voice activated
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101