Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 9th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Recent Photo: Published
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Tracy's Diner

Hello Everyone. I wanted to share one of my images here for critique. This one is on fire on facebook but I know that facebook users aren't all great photographers like there are here.

This is Tracy. She's my favorite model to shoot on any given day. She's cute, she knows her stuff and she makes me look fantastic.

Your job here is to pick this apart! Tell me what you see wrong here and where I could improve.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thank you.

Comments and Critiques greatly appreciated.

Sharna

https://www.facebook.com/sharnalee65

I am currently an Official Photographer for Delicious Dolls Magazine.

If you'd like to see more of my work you can visit my website
http://boobear9358.smugmug.com/
  #2    Top
Old January 9th, 2016, 05:12 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Tracy's Diner

Cute model for sure, I'm just gonna come and say everything I think is not helping here visually in my opinion.
#1 She need a lot more headroom in this shot, with all the other things going on she looks crammed into a box, maybe taking 3-4 steps back and It should fix.
#2 Her red slip and shoes is mixing into the background, would have probably had more pop against a lighter background.
#3 Not sure whats going on with the blinds behind her but they are very distracting as are all the wall decorations. They all seem to be tilted even the blinds.
#4 I'm not much into using off camera lighting but I'm thinking the lighting used to brighten up the wall behind her can be turned way down, maybe bringing some separation from subject to the wall.

Again I don't do these types of shots, not sure how much room was avail when taken, and is just my humble opinion.
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 9th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Manny,
#1 I can change the crop for this. It's actually got way more head room than is here.
#2 Good point. Duely noted.
#3 This is where it gets really strange. The window actually tilts outward so the tilt on the blinds was not something I could help. The tilt with the records and such behind the model is probably a cropping error due to the size I have to make these images for publications.
#4 One light for her and the background. I will tone it down.

Thank You! You have given me the best help out of everyone who's seen it.

This is how I learn and grow as a photographer and artist.

#4    Top
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Unfortunately Sharna, both the "People" forums here are not visited as much. I really don't know why. About the only thing I can come up with is the bland title for this genre.
I've posted plenty of shots in both but always get minimal exposure. Kinda bummed as this is what I enjoy shooting

I'll ask Marram If they could change the "People" title to something like "Portrait Images" and the other "People" title to "Studio Images"

There should also be a way we could tag people or our friends to view the post. Even to critique. @marram for example, then she would be called to view this post.

Anyway, glad I could help Sharna and you have come a very long way since the POP days
  #5    Top
Old January 10th, 2016, 12:28 PM

Thank you Manny. That's very sweet of you.

Hmmm Wonder why that is about the People forums that don't get many visitors? And the tagging of people is a very good idea. Another forum that I looked at does have that option.

#6    Top
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Most people seem not to comment on the critique forums these days. I am not a people shooter and Manny touched on the main things I saw with the tilted pictures and lack of head space.

The one thing he did not touch on and perhaps because it looks natural is the table shadow across the bottom shoe. I think I would want to have a small amount of fill light so her shoes reflect the same shade of red rather than the shadowed tone and brightly lit tone you are showing.

I don't have any problems with the blinds

Beyond that it looks fantastic.
  #7    Top
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:14 AM

Thank you both for your constructive criticizm. It's how I have grown into the photographer I am today.

#8    Top
Old January 12th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

I rather like all the red, and so does Anna. Also, great pose and expression.
The only thing that I really want to fix is the crop, not just top and bottom, but the wall hanging far left might be better not cut off.
The tilt of the wall objects could be lens angle, or objects actually tilting. Cropping itself won"t make them appear tilted. It is a good idea to check those things out before you shoot. Tilt them purposely, or straighten them.
Same with the light. If the light coming from the right could have been raised just a little, you might have got her foot better lit.

It is also possible that a stronger light coming through the blinds could have created an interesting texture, or it might have been too much. You never know until you try stuff.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #9    Top
Old January 13th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: My best friend Becky
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Hello Sharna,

I really like this shot, well done!
If you really want me to find something, for me the blinds are a bit bland... everything is so punchy and I feel like that grey is "disturbing". If they were black maybe the feeling would have been different.
BUT I'm only saying it because you ask for it
She is beautiful, the red suits her, her expression and pose are cheeky just enough, no wonder people likes it!
  #10    Top
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:54 AM

Thank you All. Sorry for the delayed response. I have been shooting and editing all week. And you should see the amazing pictures I got with my new Canon 5D. O M G I have died and went to heaven.

ChileDude, I will re-crop and post in the next comment. I don't like the way I have to crop these for the magazines, sometimes it's just a bit too close for my taste. Maybe now with the new camera I won't have to worry about being too close so.

Fredrica, You are too sweet. Thank you.

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People