Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:23 PM
I'm Confused: Rule of Thirds vs. Dynamic Symmetry Grids

Hello All,

Being a novice and looking to improve my composition skills, I'm confronted with a lot of theories, rules, suggestions and so on.
I understand and apply the Rule of Thirds but now I've come across the concept of Dynamic Symmetry Grids……….so now I'm really confused.

Is it worth it to understand and apply Dynamic Symmetry Grids to my work at the novice stage or should I continue on with the Rule of Thirds and visit Dynamic Symmetry Grids at a later date when I get more experience under my belt.

Many thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on this latest confusion.

Gord
  #2    Top
Old February 11th, 2016, 10:34 PM
Recent Photo: Winter Lighthouse
Re: I'm Confused: Rule of Thirds vs. Dynamic Symmetry Grids

I would stick with and master rule of 3rds. first. Dynamic Symmetry grid concept can be used to lead the viewer into the subject of the photograph but if you master rule of 3rd's this will come naturally.
  #3    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 02:42 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

There are many methods and rules for defining composition and neither one is better nor worse than any other. They all have their uses.

The rule of thirds is a rough way to approximate the golden ratio that is easy to visualize in the viewfinder. In fact on many cameras you have the option of having a grid to aid in visualization at the time of taking the shot.

If you look at more complicated composition layouts like the dynamic symmetry grids...sure it has the rule of thirds built in but can you actually visualize all those likes angles and diagonals as you are taking the shot? Or are you looking at this after the fact of taking the shot in terms of how to crop the image for best effect..

I shoot running dogs professionally in various dog spots. as well as cross country and track and field events.

I only have a few seconds, if that to visualize and take the shot. Which rule would you say I was considering with this shot?
  #4    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 05:25 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate your responses.

I'll spend my time concentrating on the rule of thirds and worry about the rest later. Sometimes when I shoot, there seems to be barely enough time to apply the rule of thirds never mind adding more to the equation.

Gord
  #5    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:18 AM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Check your camera but you may have a setting which will show a grid through the viewfinder. That can help tremendously.
  #6    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 09:40 AM

I checked the camera (Canon t2i) and the only grid display that is offered is when the camera is in video mode but thanks for the suggestion.

Gord
  #7    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Actually you can use the grid in live view mode which is for shooting stills.
  #8    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 10:17 AM

You are correct, you can use the grid in Live Mode but I prefer to use the viewfinder while shooting. Why not use Live Mode to visually frame the shot until the rule of thirds becomes second nature and then use the viewfinder.

Many thanks for the great idea.

Gord
  #9    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Depending on what you are shooting, there are times when all you can do is try to get your subject framed before you shoot. I'd worry less about rules of composition and allow your instincts to dictate how you frame the subject.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
  #10    Top
Old February 12th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
Depending on what you are shooting, there are times when all you can do is try to get your subject framed before you shoot. I'd worry less about rules of composition and allow your instincts to dictate how you frame the subject.
Thanks for your suggestion, I'm currently doing just that but I'm always looking to improve.

I shot the photo below a few years ago and my goal when shooting it was to capture the pilot looking down towards the load he was lifting.
I knew nothing about composition when I shot it but in my mind I thought it turned out okay.............now I'm questioning that.
I guess my question is, how would you have shot it differently and most importantly, why?

Forgive me for posting this picture here if it doesn't belong.

Gord

Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101