Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Contests > Photograph of the Year

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#31    Top
Old May 14th, 2016, 02:54 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Fog city
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Winner of 2015 Photograph of the Year...

I heard from some of them:
Think Tank sent a different backpack than the one mentioned under the contest (lesser model)
Gary Fong sent the kit but unfortunately haven't provided the necessary documentation for Danish tax office in time, so the package was sent back
Akvis provided me the license for the plugin that I selected
Peak design sent me the clip -no complains here
Flashpoint Zoom Lion contacted me like a month ago, I was away from home so asked them to ship it a week later but nothing happened since then.

I haven't heard from the rest. I am not impressed by how this was organized and not at all about how this was communicated.
  #32    Top
Old May 14th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Recent Photo: mrchile - Peony
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Sorry to hear things aren't going as hoped.
Please bear in mind this was the first year with new admins and they have personal lives, other interests, etc. No excuses, but just understanding.
John and Marram are trying to get back in the fold here so if any questions, send them a message.
Thanks for everyone's support. Without it, we don't have a site.
  #33    Top
Old June 7th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: All Alone
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I've certainly got some issues as well. I've contacted John again about 3 weeks ago about the missing prizes and he said he would work on it, but still nothing. One prize from Tether Tools was far below the $300 gift certificate listed, they said that wasn't what they were sponsoring with. Still waiting on 9 prizes including the $1000 gift cert from Simply Color and $750 cert from Matboard and More! I've never been involved with a contest where the sponsors have backed out, so it looks to me like the problem is at this end. Very sad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioneanu View Post
I heard from some of them:
Think Tank sent a different backpack than the one mentioned under the contest (lesser model)
Gary Fong sent the kit but unfortunately haven't provided the necessary documentation for Danish tax office in time, so the package was sent back
Akvis provided me the license for the plugin that I selected
Peak design sent me the clip -no complains here
Flashpoint Zoom Lion contacted me like a month ago, I was away from home so asked them to ship it a week later but nothing happened since then.

I haven't heard from the rest. I am not impressed by how this was organized and not at all about how this was communicated.
You don't take a photograph, you make it. ~Ansel Adams

And now I know the real Mike Dorn too!
  #34    Top
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:06 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

I am still waiting for 4 more prizes after contacting John 3-4 weeks ago.

I keep hearing that lleitmotif that the admins are busy, have their own lifes, etc.
But really, why get involved into something like this if you don't have time and willingness to take care of it?
  #35    Top
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Keep in mind if your are having problems with the sponsors sending prizes the admins too may be having difficulty in working with the sponsor to provide prizes, especially if its a wrong model type problem. These problems can take more than weeks to clear up in some cases.
  #36    Top
Old June 7th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Premiere Member

What about the cases when a coupon or a license key for a plugin has not been provided? It normally takes half an hour max.
I could see the following possible scenarios:
- the prizes were never promised by sponsors, so they were posted just to make the contest look better
- the admins have not communicated our contact details to the sponsors
- the sponsors have backed out

Given how many prizes have not been honored, I would say it is 1 or 2
  #37    Top
Old June 8th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I must say here that most sponsors are businesses that are doing this for exposure, good exposure. I found that sponsors really want to be accommodating. Two examples of this from my prizes were the Think Tank bag and the Peak Design Strap. The bag that was listed is a woman's design (Lily Deanne® Mezzo) and being a man, I preferred another bag (Retrospective® Leather 7). They generously allowed me to swap out for another bag, which I must say is an outstanding product! The other example was the Peak Design strap. Nowhere does it say a coloured strap was the prize which costs a little more. I contacted them and said I preferred a red one being I already had the black strap. I told them I bought that before the colour versions came out and was using it on one camera. I wanted the red one for another camera to easily distinguish between the two bodies. Also I told them about an issue I had with the original anchors on the black strap. So being a great sponsor, they sent me the red strap and new anchors for my original black strap, they were re-designed. Like I said, most sponsors want a good rapport with customers, and these two were outstanding. But that being said, not all sponsors are created equal, but I do find it hard to believe that more than half of the sponsors from my prize list aren't coming through with the prizes in a timely matter, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agiledogs View Post
Keep in mind if your are having problems with the sponsors sending prizes the admins too may be having difficulty in working with the sponsor to provide prizes, especially if its a wrong model type problem. These problems can take more than weeks to clear up in some cases.

#38    Top
Old June 9th, 2016, 12:25 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4tml View Post
I must say here that most sponsors are businesses that are doing this for exposure, good exposure. I found that sponsors really want to be accommodating. Two examples of this from my prizes were the Think Tank bag and the Peak Design Strap. The bag that was listed is a woman's design (Lily Deanne® Mezzo) and being a man, I preferred another bag (Retrospective® Leather 7). They generously allowed me to swap out for another bag, which I must say is an outstanding product! The other example was the Peak Design strap. Nowhere does it say a coloured strap was the prize which costs a little more. I contacted them and said I preferred a red one being I already had the black strap. I told them I bought that before the colour versions came out and was using it on one camera. I wanted the red one for another camera to easily distinguish between the two bodies. Also I told them about an issue I had with the original anchors on the black strap. So being a great sponsor, they sent me the red strap and new anchors for my original black strap, they were re-designed. Like I said, most sponsors want a good rapport with customers, and these two were outstanding. But that being said, not all sponsors are created equal, but I do find it hard to believe that more than half of the sponsors from my prize list aren't coming through with the prizes in a timely matter, if at all.
Like you, I still haven't heard back from a couple of sponsors. But what I find more frustrating than anything, is that the Admins (specifically JAshley in this case) here are not getting in touch with me about it. I sent an email again on May 31, and... nothing. I know they have a life, but I thought this was a business, too. A little better communication would go a long way.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #39    Top
Old June 9th, 2016, 01:32 PM
Senior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

He's busy posting up new articles
  #40    Top
Old June 16th, 2016, 09:15 AM
Premiere Member

Things are looking up! Just heard back from Marlen and the big prize from Simply Color! One more down

Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Contests > Photograph of the Year