Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:33 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Fog city
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason
Images in POTY and POTM galleries are for sale

Hi,

I was browsing the smugmug gallery for the 2015 POTY finalists and I have noticed that images have the buy option. I went up to the point of paying using paypal, so nothing blocks the images to be sold as small prints, mugs, mousepads, etc.
I checked the POTM galleries and they also have this option.

So why is that? I do not recall to have allowed Photography Corner to sell my images and in case of a sell, who is getting the money? I have checked the forum rules and the POTY rules, and nowhere it is mentioned that Photography Corner is allowed to sell the images.
From POTY rules:

"Copyright of the submitted photographs remain with the photographer, however by submitting a photograph for this contest, you agree that your photograph can be displayed in the Contest Corner Photo Galleries, and throughout PhotographyCorner.com during and after the duration of the contest."
  #2    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:35 PM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Images in POTY and POTM galleries are for sale

Interesting! I just checked, and there's no mistake... images in the POTM/POTY galleries are indeed for sale on Smugmug. Which begs the question, who gets the money? I'm not too worried about mine, since the image files I upload to the Corner are too small to make good prints larger than about 5x7, but the fact remains that if my photos are being offered for sale, I should have been made aware of it, and should have the option of declining. I don't have any problem at all with the Corner *displaying* my photos, but offering them for sale without my permission or even knowledge is a different matter...

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #3    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 03:57 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

What???

I am so not okay with that!!!

I have a SmugMug account, but am not selling brought it, so I certainly do not want anybody else to sell any of my stuff that happens to win a contest on the Corner!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:21 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

Hey...Could this be an oversight by the 'new' admins?

I looked through the galleries, and it seems that the 'buy photos' option is only enabled on PotM galleries May 2014 and thereafter, and only for the 2015 PotY galleries.

I'm wondering if... I'm hoping that this is not a deliberate action.

Maybe the Admins could chime in here!

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #5    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 10:28 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

The sales at smugmug are not necessarily sales for the corner. I remember that before i had a "pro" account smugmug could sell images I had uploaded. The "pro" account allowed me to add a mark up from which profit is derived.

Has anyone actually gone into add an image into a shopping cart. I would recommend the admins check our smug galleries from the site to ensure the store is turned off if they ar enot intending to allow images for sale.

Note if this is already set the seller is smugmug and not the corner.
  #6    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reason

Yes, I have added images to the cart and went until the payment process (even logged into paypal, one click button away to do the purchase).

I really doubt that smugmug is actually doing the sales. I think it is the corner who is doing it . The pro account has the option to enable sales, however I am pretty sure you can disable them as well (I am using zenfolio which is rather similar to smugmug and I can enable/disable sales either on the whole account or per gallery).
Another think that puzzles me is that only small print are enabled. This makes me think that this is deliberate as the photos are uploaded in small size. If someone would have forgot to disable sales, then all the sizes would be there. So someone intentionally enabled only small size sales plus other products that do not require high quality files.
  #7    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

remember there were size limits on the photos sent in for the contest so that would limit print size. Believe me before I had a pro account at smug, they were selling my images as prints. I know people who had bought some not realizing that I was not getting anything for the images they purchased.

I am sure the admins are reviewing the gallery settings.
  #8    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:54 AM

Smug has what are called at cost sales. That is sales of images with no mark up for the owner and perhaps that is what needs to be done.

There are means to turn this off...http://news.smugmug.com/2005/07/19/h...at-cost-sales/
  #9    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:20 AM
Premiere Member

Then iit seems smugmug is pretty stupid about this topic and i am happy I chose other platform for my website
Anyway, what still puzzles me is that only the galleries from May 2014 are having this "feature". So I would imagine if it was a default setting, all the galleries were affected, right?
  #10    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 01:33 AM

Well the store in newer galleries could be turned off or individual galleries settings can override the default settings. It is something the admins will look into I can assure you of that.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Feedback > Questions & Suggestions