Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:15 PM
Hello everybody!

Hi! I'm Leandro from Buenos Aires.

I acquired a Canon Powershot SX520HS four months ago and started taking pictures as a hobby since then. As I learn about photography I realize I need a better camera. I think I'm going to upgrade soon. I'm looking forward to improve my skills by learning from this community, seeing others' work, and sharing my photos to learn my own mistakes.

Thank you!
  #2    Top
Old April 3rd, 2016, 11:39 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Hello everybody!

Hi Leandro and welcome to the corner.

I don't mind people want to spend money on new gear, but I would first be interested in understanding what you are not getting from your powershot that you may get with an "upgrade".

While certainly different cameras will offer different capabilities, take time to understand the basics of exposure, composition etc...before just spending money wildly on something new. Also understand more if you have a particular niche in photography you want to explore and work in. This will also help you to use all gear better, new or old and when making purchases, know what questions to ask and what capabilities you really need. This can save you $$ in the long run.
  #3    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 12:04 AM

Thank you!

Yes. That's what I intend to do now. I took my cam to my vacations to Patagonia. I took a thousand pictures which gave me a real feel of this camera. Which I think is amazing given its price and not being a professional model.

So far I think I would like to have an eye-level viewfinder and the ability to do manual focus by turning the lens. On the technology side I'd like a better (bigger) sensor and the ability to change lenses.

I don't plan to become a professional photographer. I won't buy a lot of lenses nor will I expend a lot of money in equipment. But I want to be able to upgrade from time to time. My current plan is to buy a EOS Rebel T5i 18-55mm IS STM Lens Kit and later a good 50mm fixed lens. But I'm completely open to other options and I won't buy it right now. So I have some time to think about it yet.
  #4    Top
Old April 4th, 2016, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Photo Taker
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Welcome aboard Leandro. This is a great place to learn.