Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Encrusted 002
Looking for the holy grail

Been thinking recently about picking up a compact sized camera to compliment my slrs. Currently shooting a 1D mkIII and a 20D gripped. I've been debating between the Eos m, the Sony rx100ii, and the a7.
First and foremost I want a fast focusing camera with good iq, and relatively small.
The Sony models interest me for their highly rated iq, and the Canon has good iq, interchangeable lenses but apparently poor focus speeds.
Would love to hear some opinions and experiences.
  #2    Top
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Looking for the holy grail

If you are looking for fast focus forget about Canon........ I tried one out and would never buy one, at least the current version (which I believe was discontinued). Maybe a new version is on the way with some better spec's.

Sony appears to be kicking butt however in this realm from what I read.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #3    Top
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:22 AM
Premiere Member

The M is still out there, I've heard the latest firmware made an improvement to AF speeds but I don't know for sure, lots of comments still that it's nowhere near where it should be. I consider it because of the discounts on it, it will use all my Canon glass, and the APS-C sized sensor.

Sony is really stepping it up recently in terms of sensors and IQ, so I am intrigued by them.
  #4    Top
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

You will need an adapter to use Canon EF glass........

I know there was a fire sale on the M lately, specualtion was that a newer version was on the horizon.

I think that rumor is still afloat.

Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone........

Anonymous

My Official Gear List
  #5    Top
Old November 12th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Premiere Member

Q1 2014.....
  #6    Top
Old November 13th, 2013, 03:55 AM

That is a big quest i guess.
  #7    Top
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Premiere Member

I'm really looking hard at the RX100M2... any opinions?
  #8    Top
Old August 2nd, 2014, 07:35 PM
Recent Photo: Storms At Sea

Had the same need recently when going on an overseas trip . My 46mp Sigma SD1 & fancy lenses are much too heavy to lug everywhere but I needed to be able take high quality shots as I may never go back.

While debating the issue one of the guys in our local camera club rocked up with the Panasonic Lumix FZ70 with a zoom range of 20-1200mm. I was very skeptical of this camera so we went out and thoroughly tested it against the range of DSLR's we had.

It turned out that for 90% of the time the difference in qualitiy was barely noticeable when shooting in RAW and the ability to take high magnification handheld zoom shots was nothing short of brilliant. Next thing 5 of us had them and I took mine on a 30 day tour of Greece. I have found it an excellent supplement to my DSLRs and would recommend you check it out.
  #9    Top
Old September 16th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Premiere Member

Well, I ended up getting the RX100 mkii which my wife fell in love with. She loves how easy it is to shoot and it's relative quickness. Which put me back to my original dilemma as I see the Sony on Mondays when she wants the photos off it. The photos are terrific given the size but I still wanted something better. ended up pulling the trigger on the Sony a7 with a FD adapter. Amazed at 2 things.... the IQ coming from the Sony, and how good the FD lenses really are.
  #10    Top
Old March 9th, 2015, 11:04 AM

Whats That
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Compact Cameras (Film & Digital)